Jhpiego is recruiting for the position of Programs and Operations Director.
Jhpiego, an affiliate of Johns Hopkins University, builds global and local partnerships to enhance the quality of healthcare Jhpiego, an affiliate of Johns Hopkins University, builds global and local partnerships to enhance the quality of healthcare services for women and families around the world. Jhpiego is a global leader in the creation of innovative and effective approaches to developing human resources for health.
Jhpiego seeks a Director, Programs and Operations to provide project management-focused leadership, guide development, implementation, and monitoring of feasible, cost effective annual workplans/programs while also ensuring consistent use of project management tools and techniques across Jhpiego/Zambia’s portfolio. This includes being accountable for startup and close out of Jhpiego/Zambia projects. The Director Programs and Operations will sit on the senior management team, act as the key point of contact with Jhpiego home office backstopping team, work closely with the Jhpiego/Zambia Country Director on strategic planning and new program development opportunities. The Director Programs and Operations will work closely with Jhpiego/Zambia’s finance and administrative team to manage the Jhpiego/Zambia cost performance. The Director Programs and Operations will further support the Country Director on a range of key office-wide initiatives, including improving office processes and procedures, gaining efficiencies for the office as a whole.
- Provide project management (PM) leadership ensuring Jhpiego/Zambia adheres to Jhpiego global PM standards. Establish PM systems, maintain and update standardized PM tools and monitor each project’s adherence to Jhpiego/Zambia’s PM standards,
- Collaborate with Jhpiego finance staff and project directors to develop annual project budgets and monitor project performance.
- Identify and assess risks to performance, communicating risk to Jhpiego/Zambia Country Director. Develop and lead implementation of mitigation plan(s) to address identified risks.
- Lead project start up and close out activities by convening teams, developing detailed plans, monitoring progress, and communicating progress with Country Director and Jhpiego Headquarters.
- Manage negotiation and execution of project partners’ subaward and establish partnership principles.
- Collaborate with finance staff to manage PEPFAR-specific budgeting and reporting requirements.
- Represent Jhpiego as required with donors, Zambian government counterparts, collaborating partners in close collaboration with the project leads/project directors/chief of party/country director.
- Foster strong communication link with Jhpiego’s headquarters backstop team via email, phone, and shared workspaces.
- Contribute to new program development (NPD) opportunities including identifying and engaging potential local partners for current and future NPD opportunities. Contribute to proposal technical strategies and management plans..
- Supervise team of program staff providing day-to-day support to project activities, building their capacity in PM tools, performance analysis, PEPFAR requirements, and NPD.
- Serve as member of the Zambia Senior Management Team, providing leadership to the entire Jhpiego Zambia office.
- Support Country Director in developing, implementing and monitoring Jhpiego/Zambia strategic plan.
- Support Country Director in development and undertaking a range of strategic initiatives, aimed with improving office-wide policies and procedures.
- Serve as acting Country Director as needed.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Graduate degree in public health, business, management
- 10 years of work experience in a voluntary, public, private sector or USG funded NGO
- Project Management for Development Professionals (PMD-Pro) certified (preferred)
- Strong writing skills
- Experience managing public health projects
- PEPFAR experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively, particularly in writing
- Ability to handle a variety of different assignments sometimes under pressure of deadlines
- Ability to coordinate and consolidate information and logistics for programs and activities
- Ability to work independently, and coordinate with multiple teams,
- Ability to motivate and mentor a team.
- Be cooperative, competent, hardworking, flexible and dependable.
Please send your application letter and curriculum vitae only in a single document to the Human Resources Director: [email protected]
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
The closing date is Tuesday August 2, 2022