Website Commonwealth Local Government Forum
Position: Project Manager
Commonwealth Local Government Forum (CLGF), an international organisation representing local government across the Commonwealth, in partnership with the Local Government Association of Zambia (LGAZ) and the Ministry of Local Government (MLG) is about to commence the implementation of Enhancing Local Government Capacity for Development Project with funding from the EU Delegation to Zambia.
The project aims to enhance local governance for effective and efficient inclusive service delivery and development in 10 local authorities in Lusaka, Copperbelt and Northern provinces. .
CLGF is inviting suitably qualified candidates to assume the role of Project Manager to lead the implementation of an upcoming 3- Year Project. The Project Manager’s duties and responsibilities are outlined below.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Manage the successful planning, delivery and monitoring of the Enhancing Local Government Capacity for Development Project
- Manage the project on a day to day basis in a timely , costs effective manner and to the satisfaction of project beneficiaries and partners
- Develop annual project plans and budget and provide guidance to ensure the achievement of project annual targets
- Lead project implementation team (project staff including staff seconded from project partners), associates and consultants as required
- Provide direction including allocating roles and responsibilities to project implementation team , associates and consultants as required
- Monitor project implementation including undertaking field visits and performing quality assurance
- Monitor project progress against agreed targets and performance indicators
- Provide regular progress reports on project implementation to the Regional Programme Manager, LGAZ Secretary General, project partners as well as donors and other relevant stakeholders
- Manage project budgets and ensure timely and accurate reporting to donors
- Provide close financial and procurement oversight to the project
2. Manage and maintain project partnerships for effective delivery of the Enhancing Local Government Capacity for Development Project
- Coordinate project partners for successful delivery of the project
- Provide assistance and advice to local Project Steering Committee (PSC)
- Provide secretariat support to the project PSC and technical committee meetings
- Seek and identify additional partnership and funding opportunities, and oversee the preparation of funding proposals, donor briefing and presentations in support of resource mobilization
3. Provide technical support to project implementation
- Provide technical support to project implementation in 10 local authorities with respect to local government capacity building, integrated development planning, local economic development and provision of primary health care
- Identify and manage additional technical assistance as necessary from within the project partners networks to support effective project implementation
- Contribute to the development of templates, guidelines, strategies and plans for capacity building, Local Economic Development and primary health care as required in the 10 local authorities
4. Communications and knowledge sharing
- Develop communication materials to inform stakeholders and the public of key project activities and results in line with the project communications strategy and take a lead in publicising the project and its achievements
- Communicate progress, risks, expectations, timelines, milestones and other key project metrics to project partners and stakeholders
- Identify key lessons learned from the projects and maximise the dissemination opportunities as envisaged in the project proposal
- Advanced degree in Social Sciences, Town Planning, Public Administration or other related fields to the project.
- At least 7 years professional experience, preferably relating to project management, particularly within the local government, international development or voluntary sector.
- Experience of identifying funding opportunities, building relationships with donors and preparing applications.
- Experience of working on EC funded projects is essential.
- Knowledge of, and relevant experience, working in project management in Zambia, ideally together with some regional or international experience would be preferred.
Knowledge and technical expertise
- Able to manage projects/programmes, maintain excellent communications with project partners and other team members, manage information effectively, organise own workload and work well under pressure
- Demonstrates substantive and technical knowledge to meet responsibilities and post requirements
- Possesses expert knowledge of local government and decentralisation , ideally with specific knowledge of local government capacity building, integrated development planning, local economic development and/or decentralised provisions of primary health care
- Demonstrates and applies advanced knowledge of project management including the best ways of ensuring project effectiveness and efficiency;
- Possesses knowledge of information technology and how it can be applied to promote good local governance
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, control expenditure, and fundraise
- Possesses a track record of project delivery
- Good knowledge and awareness of other issues and areas of focus which impact on this project, including Gender, Human rights and HIV/AIDS
- Understanding of local government reforms and public sector/local government development policies in Zambia
- Possess team leadership and coaching skills
- Flexible and adaptable to a changing working environment
- Promotes a culture of knowledge sharing and learning within the team and among project partners
- Self- motivated , with good judgement and initiative
- Good interpersonal skills, political awareness and sensitivity, and high standards of ethics and personal conduct.
- Sound written and oral communication skills
- Good level of attention to detail
- Sensitivity to diversity
Applicants should email a Curriculum Vitae and a covering letter setting out how they meet the requirements of the role as set out in the person specification to:
[email protected] by close of business 19 March 2018. Please ensure that you mention www.gozambiajobs.com as the source of this job advertisement.
Please indicate clearly the position you are applying for.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org