REPSSI (the Regional Psychosocial Support Initiative) is a renowned pan African organisation that has been supporting governments and non-governmental organisations to provide holistic psychosocial care and support to children and their families in East and Southern Africa for 18 years now. REPSSI works in 13 countries and aims to enhance the psychosocial and mental wellbeing of girls, boys, youth their families and communities to be able to respond to challenges such as HIV and AIDS, conflict, poverty, climate change, environmental disasters and social strife.
REPSSI’s strategy is underpinned by four strategic outcomes:
1. Enhanced health, SRHR, and HIV outcomes for children, adolescents & mothers through MHPSS
2. Enhanced protection and sustainable livelihoods through MHPSS
3. Education and Early Childhood Development is enhanced through MHPSS
4. Disaster risk reduction and enhanced humanitarian response through MHPSS
REPSSI seeks to appoint a Country Director, Zambia. The successful candidate will be responsible for strategic management and support the implementation of the 2021-2025 REPSSI strategy in Zambia through partnership management, PSS advocacy, provision of PSS technical assistance and resource mobilization. The position reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
Strategic management of the country programme
- Lead in the development, implementation and periodic review of Zambia Country strategy, ensuring it is aligned to REPSSI’s regional strategic direction and priority thematic areas.
- Spearhead the development of the country’s annual plans and budgets in accordance with set guidelines and procedures.
2. Programme coordination and management
- Direct and manage implementation of the REPSSI programme.
- Define programme scope, outputs and deliverables to realize programme goal and objectives in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders.
- Develop full-scale programme plans and associated communications documents with support from the Head of Programmes/CEO.
- Estimate the resources and ensure that necessary logistics are in place to achieve programme goals.
- Track project milestones and deliverables.
- Proactively manage changes in programme scope, identify potential risks, and devise contingency plans with support from Head of Programmes/CEO.
- Develop and maintain relationships with programme levels of Government, UN Agencies, training institutions and Research Institutions and other key stakeholders.
3. Ensure effective Monitoring, Learning and Impact Assessment (including Technical Risk Management)
- In liaison the M&E Manager/Head of Programmes/CEO, and partners, conducts programme reviews and creates a recommendations report in order to identify successful and unsuccessful programme elements, areas for change within REPSSI resources. Conduct field/site monitoring visits.
- Produce the programme annual budget and monitor expenditure.
- Comply with donor conditions and reporting requirements.
- Overseeing of risk management of the programme.
- Finance/Budget Management
- Align budget and activities to overall REPSSI SIP.
- Coordinate the gathering and sharing of information on existing and emerging donor opportunities in liaison Head of Programmes/CEO to secure project funding.
- Participate in the development of cohesive, focused and effective programme proposals.
- Review and analyse information and prepare reports/documents on activities related to funding partners and fundraising.
- Coordinate with communications/advocacy staff to identify, contribute to and disseminate promotional materials, launch campaigns and handle public relations events.
5. Advocate for PSS and communicate programme activities
- Represent or ensure appropriate representation of REPSSI in-country in all relevant forums.
- Develop and maintain close relationships with all relevant government departments, UN agencies and NGO counterparts on programmatic matters.
- Proactively support REPSSI’s publicity and communications aims.
- Ensure that the country office provides information to update the website and actively participate on REPSSI social media as required.
- Advocate and marketing of REPSSI brand and services in Zambia.
- Prepare policy and analytical briefs for the Head of Programmes/CEO on strategic partnerships and resource mobilization issues
6. Essential Skills and Personality Traits
- Good judgment and ability to use initiative and make decisions in complex, challenging and sensitive situations.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentations); ability to generate concept papers, produce concise and creative bids.
- Ability to speak more than one local languages is an added advantage
- Networking and influencing skills and ability to build relationships with potential donors.
- Problem solving, deadline-oriented, process improvement and pays meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and work well under pressure.
- Ability to understand and generate budgets.
- Ability to plan ahead and work within agreed timeframes.
- Ability and willingness to travel for work.
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends as required.
- Demonstrable ability to plan and prioritise own workload with minimum supervision
7. Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Relevant Masters degree in preferably Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, Public Health or any other social sciences.
- Minimum five (5) years of relevant work experience at least 2 being at Managerial level.
- Practical field experience in development contexts.
- Practical experience in training and/or facilitation of groups.
- Experience in programme design, implementation, M&E.
- Basic knowledge of psychosocial support.
- Experience in conducting field-based baseline assessments.
- Experience in international, regional and/or national networking and knowledge management.
- Work experience with large NGOs, government departments and/or international cooperating partners.
- Ability to represent the organisation at high levels.
- Proficient in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
- Only Zambian citizens will be considered for the opportunity
- This is a full-time 3-year contract position subject to availability of donor funding and good performance.
- Remuneration will be commensurate with skills and experience. REPSSI is committed to the principles of employment equity.
To apply, submit a one-page written motivation, CV and three work related referees with contact details, certified copies of identity document and qualifications to [email protected]
Please quote reference Country Director Zambia in the application subject line.