The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a non-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity.
IITA-Zambia is seeking to employ the services of qualified and experienced individuals to take up the following position:
The Research Associate will work under the regional cassava breeding program. The breeding program main objective is to develop and deploy improved varieties resistant to major pest (Cassava Green mites) and diseases (Cassava Mosaic Disease: CMD and Cassava Brown Streak Disease: CBSD), tolerant to major abiotic constraints (drought and frost), high yielding, with high dry matter content and nutritious, adapted to different agro-ecologies meeting preferences of end-users and markets demands.
The program seeks to build capacity of the national agricultural research systems through enhanced partnership, raise farm productivity and promote adoption of improved resistant cassava varieties. IITA works closely with National Agricultural Research System (NARS) to be able to achieve the above objectives.
Major duties and responsibilities of Research Associate: The major responsibilities of the Research Associate include the following:
- Assist the cassava breeder in planning and establishing and executing breeding experiments
- Collect, organize, analyze, and summarize progress and annual technical reports and prepare manuscripts for publication
- Maintain databases of breeding activities/projects to support variety development, the advancement processes.
- Assist in planning and tracking resource allocations for the breeding programs.
- Ability to work under pressure in a field environment as well as in an office.
- Ensure that research inputs needed are available for the execution of experiments;
- Conduct on-station and participatory variety selection trials along the value chain
- Coordinate and supervise technicians and casual labor working in breeding trials which he/she has responsibilities
- Ensure that planned activities tasks are undertaken on schedule and assist assigned staff on site to accomplish their duties timely.
- Train subordinates in field experimentation, data collection and analysis;
- Assist in organizing and conducting training workshops of technicians and farmers ‘fields days around cassava improvement and management;
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned by the Scientist in charge of the program
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Plant Breeding, or Plant Sciences/Agronomy, or Natural Sciences or related fields from a recognized university.
- Minimum of 3 years in agricultural research, or related experience, or equivalent amounts of relevant education and experience.
- Competencies, experience or expertise in field-based breeding and molecular breeding, knowledge of plant development, physiology, genetics, agronomy, crop production, and experimental field plot design.
- Strong computer science/information management, data management, and statistical analysis skills. Highly proficient in Microsoft Office and other related software for data analysis, database development and maintenance, data storage, and file manipulation. The ability to learn new software will be required. Familiarity with other database management and statistical analysis software desired.
- Strong self-motivation and ability to, make decisions, and effectively solve problems.
- Be able to follow instructions and work independently when necessary,
- Excellent personal interaction skills required for fostering teamwork, enhancing a good working environment, and effectively developing strong internal and external working relationships with a diverse group of people.
- Strong communication skills in spoken and written English
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Be available to work outside office hours and for extended hours where necessary.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should forward their curriculum vitae together with the cover letter in MS Word format as one document stating in the subject clearly the position applied for by email to A.Akapelwa@cgiar.org or by post to: Head, Finance & Administration, Southern Africa Research & Administration Hub (SARAH) Campus, Plot 1458B, Ngwerere Road, Chongwe District, Lusaka, P. O. Box 310142, Chelston, Lusaka, Zambia. Do also include a statement of your salary expectation (Net Pay) in the cover Letter.
Please do not send scanned copies of your educational qualifications at this stage. The closing date for receipt of applications is 25th August, 2017.
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted
To apply for this job email your details to A.Akapelwa@cgiar.org