The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a non-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. For more information, please visit www.iita.org. IITA is seeking to employ the services of fully qualified and experienced Zambian nationals to fill up the position of Research Associate – Soybean Plant Breeding (2 Positions) at Lusaka Station
I. JOB SUMMARY:
In support of the Legume Breeding Programme, the position reports to the Soybean Breeder
II. MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist breeding program in field trial design, seed preparation, planting, trial evaluation, data collection and seed harvest.
- Manage many aspects of breeding database including data entry, trial creation, and critical seed health and plant pathology data.
- Work closely with the administrative staff to effectively comply with all regulatory phytosanitary certifications and international seed shipment protocols.
- Manage and periodically update seed inventory.
- Manage screen house projects including sowing, labeling, pollinating instructions, and harvest.
- Receive and distribute seeds for basic seed production, variety trials, product development and deployment.
- Travel to off-site stations to assist with planting, thinning and product evaluation.
- Recruit and manage all temporary workers as needed.
- Ensure compliance with all Health & Safety and regulatory standards.
- Co-ordinate all pesticide, herbicide and irrigation applications to nursery and trial plots.
- Train and mentor students on internship programmes.
- Perform all other related duties that may be assigned from time to time by the supervisor.
III. SUPERVISION RECEIVED:
This position reports to the Soybean Breeder (IITA Southern Africa) in terms of policy direction and major work plan
IV. QUALIFICATION and EXPERIENCE
- in Agriculture/Crop Science/Horticulture or equivalent qualifications.
- in Plant Breeding/Agronomy will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of three (3) or more years of professional experience in agriculture research.
V. CORE COMPETENCIES
- Innovative, ability to work with minimal supervision in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and work under pressure.
- Fluency in English and excellent written and verbal communication skills
General information: The contract will be for an initial period of three (3) years. Renewal is dependent on performance and availability of funds.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested applicants should forward their detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter indicating the position and send as One Document by email to [email protected] not later than 16th September 2023 to:
The Regional Hub Administrator
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture
Plot 145B Ngwerere Road
Chongwe District Lusaka Province
P.O. Box 310142
Chelstone, Lusaka, Zambia
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.