The Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) delivers research-based solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives. Alliance solutions address the global crises of malnutrition, climate change, biodiversity loss, and environmental degradation. With novel partnerships, the Alliance generates evidence and mainstreams innovations to transform food systems and landscapes so that they sustain the planet, drive prosperity, and nourish people.
The Alliance is part of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future. HarvestPlus (www.harvestplus.org) improves nutrition and public health by developing and promoting biofortified food crops that are rich in vitamins and minerals, and providing global leadership on biofortification evidence and technology. HarvestPlus is part of the CGIAR Research Program on Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH).
CGIAR is a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Its science is carried out by its 15 research centers in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations.
The Alliance on behalf of HarvestPlus, is seeking to recruit a highly-motivated Research Associate who will play a leading role in planning, organizing and implementing the seed production and seed commercialization plans for Zambia.
1) Partnership Outreach
- Maintain functional and effective partnerships with various HarvestPlus partners across seed value chains;
- Develop and network with new potential strategic partners to enhance spread of biofortification agenda in the Agri food industry;
- Facilitate for establishment of collaborative agreements amongst HarvestPlus partners to foster HarvestPlus biofortification agenda.
2) Seed System Planning, Implementation and Monitoring
- Ensure accurate capture of data on biofortified seed production, storage and distribution by private seed player partners;
- In liaison with private seed players, develop biofortified seed distribution plans and ensure execution on a seasonal basis;
- Ensure seed companies working with Harvest Plus comply with seed standards as stipulated by Seed Control and Certification Institute (SCCI);
- In liaison with private seed players, plan market activation of biofortified seed promotions and point of sale materials;
- Close monitoring and evaluation of seed supply chains to improve efficiency of biofortified seed supply to farmers;
- Monitor seed market trends and facilitate commercial production of biofortified seed by the private sector
- Support establishment of field demos of biofortified crops and help popularize the crops among farmers and value chain players;
- Provide technical capacitation of seed companies for production of early generation seed (EGS).
The Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT Recruiting for a Research Associate
- Bachelor degree in Agriculture, specializing in crop production.
- At least five (5) years related work experience with demonstrated knowledge of applied crop production
- Working knowledge of agricultural practices and procedures e.g. plant breeding, crop management.
- Advanced computer use skills (database, spreadsheet, word processing, presentations)
- Excellent interpersonal skills with advanced written and verbal communication skills in English, Swahili and local languages
- Strong project management skills, including effective communication and decision-making abilities
- Strong ability to co-ordinate, prioritize and organize workload; take initiative and work under pressure
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team as is the case for a value chain approach
- Demonstrated experience in interacting with stakeholders at various levels
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, but also participate as a team member in accomplishment of duties
Terms of employment:
This is a nationally recruited position based in Lusaka, Zambia. The initial contract will be for period of One (1) Year, and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources. The Alliance offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits; we believe that the diversity of our staff contributes to excellence. The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer, and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
How to apply:
Applicants are invited to visit http://ciat.cgiar.org/ciat-jobs to get full details of the position and to submit their applications. Applications should include Reference number: HV-1827-Research Associate as the position applied for. Applications should be saved as one document using the candidate’s lastname, firstname for ease of sorting.
Applications closing date: 31st December 2020
Please note that email applications will not be considered.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.