At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose:
Reporting to the Superintendent, HSMS, the Software and Data Management Risk Engineer will be responsible for driving the development, design, installation and maintenance of software and data management solutions that enhance visibility of trends and patterns from large operational and Safety Data sets, in a meaningful way
Specific Job Responsibilities:
Based on the guidance of Health & Safety Management, the job holder shall be expected to execute:
- Champion projects that promote safety and health compliance through the integration of Trident’s Event management system with other site management systems.
- Support Trident’s site management team in ensuring the availability and reliability of the mine’s event management system.
- Provide comprehensive support to internal users through speedy resolution of outstanding problems or issues encountered in the utilization of Safety systems and software.
- Oversee the administration of licenses, maintenance, trainings and other considerations required in ensuring end to end success of safety systems.
- Analyse User requirements and convert them into technical and design specification documents.
- Perform gap analyses in existing Safety systems and address identified inadequacies through research, design, implementation and management of software programs.
- Develop test and implement new software programs using .Net Framework (Asp.Net, Blazor, Xamarin, .NET MAUI)
- Build low code solutions using SharePoint and power platform.
- Write analytical reports using SQL, DAX, Python, R from data across different systems within the organization
- Enhance departmental reporting quality through the development of tools that provide automated graphical / numerical representation of abstract data, as far as is reasonably practicable.
- Assist in the compilation of timely comprehensive and accurate reports and documentation.
- Serve as a data quality control specialist in cleaning up compromised / incomplete Data sets.
- Protect safety data from damage / loss through the establishment of appropriate Data banks.
Job Specific Competencies:
The specific competencies for the ideal Candidate are:
- Strong scientific writing and critical thinking capabilities; Analytical mind with proven problem solving abilities
- Experience with Managing demanding projects and ensure deliverables are achieved
- System Admin experience in an event management system such INX, Intelex or my-compliance.
- Experience with Power BI, SPSS and other tools will be an added advantage.
- Experience in managing computer-based systems in Mining, processing or maintenance in a base metal or large processing environment.
- The ability to compile, review and validate quantitative and qualitative data.
- A strong command of the English language; written and spoken.
- The ability to provide support to teams across the mine site in the design and implementation of Software solutions that enhance Trident’s health and safety management plan
Key Job Attributes:
The following personal attributes are most desirable of the ideal Candidate:
- Traceable commitment to safety & health best practices in their field of work.
- Agile mindset, versatile skill-set, attention to detail & quick learning ability.
- Result-driven self-starter with an affinity for efficiency, safety and efficacy.
- Sober minded, level headed, industrious, resolute and ‘intra’-preneurial.
- Proven emotionally intelligent personality; confident ‘on-the-feet’ thinker with strong inter-personal skills (vertical and lateral).
- A proven ability to work with other disciplines to achieve minimal risk levels in work, paralleled with minimal disruption to mine and plant operating times.
- Track record of optimization, continuous improvement, automation, process control or business process review in any field of Engineering applicable to Mining.
Ability to work in a demanding, high-paced, fast-changing, and multi-cultural mining environment with little to no supervision.
Experience required to perform in this job:
- At least Five years’ experience in a Systems Admin, Software development or data management role.
- Highly capable in mine-relevant software systems, including Enterprise Resource Planning systems (ERPs), Control Systems and Event Management Systems (EMSs)
- Experience / exposure to project management principles and practice will be highly valuable.
- A full Grade 12 / Form (v) school certificate.
- As a minimum, a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software development, Information Technology or other Computer based Engineering / Science discipline from a recognized University or other institution.
- A valid Zambian vehicle driving License will be an added advantage.
- Registered member of the Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ).