TI International is an independent, non-profi research institute
USAID/Zambia Foundational Learning
Position: USAID/ Director of Finance and Operations
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Our staff of nearly 6,000 works in more than 75 countries—tackling hundreds of projects each year to address complex social and scientific challenges on behalf of governments, businesses, foundations, universities, and other clients and partners. Through independent research and science-based programs, we are making positive impacts on people and communities around the world. Our diverse team embraces challenges in an inclusive atmosphere that values work-life balance and creates global opportunities for career development. If you’re looking for a dynamic workplace culture, comprehensive benefits, and opportunities to grow, join our team and discover the RTI Difference.
IDG’s International Education Division supports education development around the world by strengthening education policy, management and practice in order to achieve measurable improvement in teaching and learning. From our well-established reputation in education system strengthening, to innovative work in early grade assessment and learning, RTI is improving education quality, relevance and efficiency through implementation of projects funded by USAID, The LEGO Foundation, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and other donors and clients.
Zambia Foundational Learning is a planned 5-year program funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). Zambia Foundational Learning is dedicated to enhancing learning outcomes for children from pre-primary (kindergarten) through Grade 3 by focusing on three key objectives:
- Scaling the Primary Literacy Program.
- Support the Ministry of Education to institutionalize Personal Learning Plan and early learning reforms and provide technical assistance to direct Government-to Government Education Sector Assistance.
- Enhance the delivery of remedial and catch-up education.
The Director of Finance and Operations will be responsible for overseeing all financial management, procurement, HR, communications, logistics, security, and field operations on the project. This position will be based in Lusaka, Zambia and will report to the Chief of Party.
Your primary responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Oversee the project’s financial, human resource management, logistics, procurement, administration and information technology, and reporting functions to ensure compliance.
- Oversee preparation and submission of financial statements and other cost accounting reports to RTI and USAID.
- Ensure adherence to RTI and USAID financial and accounting policies and procedures.
- Oversees subcontracts to local partners.
- Provide training and guidance to field and subcontract finance managers and COP on managing project expenses to annual work plan and contract budgets, as needed.
- Coordinate and consolidate the projection of monthly, quarterly and annual expenditures and prepare pipeline estimates for the project.
- Provide leadership and support during project start-up and close-out with regard to setting up the project office, bank account, operations and logistics, staff administration, etc.
- Ensure appropriate systems and cost effective, timely procedures such as cash management, vendor payments, and budgeting are in place to properly disburse, account, budget and report project funds and have the proper internal controls.
- Ensure budget and workplan alignment with other program leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree plus 12 years or a Master’s degree plus 10 year’s experience in business administration, or a relevant field.
- Progressively responsible experience implementing projects that are similar to this activity in terms of complexity, scope, and budget.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of USAID policies and procedures.
- Experience working on international education programming preferred, including experience working with Ministries of Education, private sector leaders, and other stakeholders that work in education programming.
- Demonstrated skills in building, mobilizing, and leading multidisciplinary teams.
- Proven ability to work under pressure, and with multiple concurrent demands.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to resolve sensitive and complicated work issues with senior high-level country counterparts, donor representatives, and senior-level staff.
- Experience working in Zambia.
- Verbal and written fluency in English required.
All qualified applicants should submit both their CV and cover letter through this link Director of Finance & Operations- Zambia Foundational Learning in Lusaka, Zambia | RTI International . All applications must be submitted by 27th November 2023 at 5:00 PM Lusaka time.