To support the development of Safety policies and practices within Zambia as per key responsibilities.
- To ensure the day to day management of safety issues are addressed with the Safety Manager
- Will look beyond the immediate risks to identify potential latent failures that are in the company processes and set in place processes to mitigate against these risks.
- Liaise with all Safety Officers and assist in implementation of Safety and Health Standards in line with Corporate strategy and annual business plans.
- Safety Sup will be a direct resource and provide daily guidance to deal with safety issues that arise.
- Audit Kansanshi operational areas against the FQM Health and Safety Management System standards and assist with improving compliance levels.
- Audit Kansanshi operational areas against policy, risk and impact identification and assist with the development of action plans.
- Review, design and implement summarized site operational health and safety topics and procedures.
- Review and assist in the standardization of site contractor controls and procedures.
- Provide strategic direction and input towards a more systematic approach to overall health and safety management at sites ensuring a continual improvement approach in line with OHSAS 18001 (2007)
- Audit Emergency response preparedness, procedures and training and assist in the continual improvement planning for emergency resources. (includes community awareness).
- Monitor and review accidents and incidents and review recurrent events and assist in development and implementation of remedial actions.
- Participate in high potential incident investigations and identify areas for improvement, and ensure relevant alerts are sent to Safety Manager for group circulation.
- Assist in compiling monthly reports from all operations on site.
- Support management & supervisor development training programs and establish high standards of safety performance for management.
- Support the organizational culture of FQM (Bolder, Driven, Smarter) and actively promote it’s translation in terms of safety related activity
- Keep abreast of new developments and best practices in the field of H&S and make recommendations for improvements
- Provide support and participate to the implementation of the Visible Field Leadership program on site.
- Conduct monthly Safety Contractors meeting when required.
- Chair and conduct monthly SHE representative meeting on a monthly basis.
- Ensure monitoring of sub-contractors’ safety performance and conduct quarterly audits to ensure compliance to the “Health & Safety requirements for contractors “procedure
- Report all statutory documentation to the relevant regulatory organizations. (MSD, Workmen’s compensation)
- Implement weekly accident / Incident review meetings with each relevant Department
- Conduct monthly Safety review meetings with Superintendents / Senior Supervisors in each section
- Ensure all accidents are completed on SharePoint
- Ensure all Hazards are identified and actioned on SharePoint and close out.
- Ensure all Legal appointments are in place per section
- Conduct random inspections and ensure full compliance to lifting equipment registers and inspections.
- Ensure all MSDS are up to date in each relevant section.
- Review baseline risk assessments in your section and ensure all recommendations are put in place.
- Randomly conduct Planned Task Observations in conjunction with the training centre.
- Compile a workplace inspection matrix and ensure all work places are visited on a monthly basis in your section.
- Must oversee general safety behavioral surveys when required (Think, Toolbox talks etc.)
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Full Grade 12 Certificate
- Degree in OSHE or Equivalent.
- Able to understand Company Procedures, Guide to Mining Regulation and other Zambian laws.
- Member of relevant professional body
- Holder of a valid driver’s license
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience with at least 5 years’ in the mining industry at senior management level
To apply for this job please visit www.first-quantum.com.