Lumwana Mining Company
Lumwana Mining Company seeks to recruit a highly committed employee for the position of Senior Mine Geologist – Pre-Feasibility Study to join the Mineral Resources Department.
Reporting to the Feasibility Manager, you will be accountable for executing the PFS programs, provide leadership, strategy and systems that deliver optimal evaluation and development of the Pre-feasibility study in our existing mine (Lumwana Mining Company) and the regional targets. Manage the addition of more pounds of copper to inventory and mineral resource through the drilling and evaluation of the additional resources around the mine and via Brownfield programs by utilizing efficient and effective budget. Your duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure on time delivery of geological inputs into PFS.
- Assist as required in programs to develop geological skills for future operations
- Ensure Exploration Department members and associated contractors had Zero LTIs. Increased focus on reporting and investigation of high potential incidents.
- Immediate stoppage of unsafe behaviours. Proactive in sending safety messages, safety alerts, interactions with teams and participating in safety meetings. FLRA conducted at all workplaces without fail.
- To execute the exploration programs, including but not limited to mapping, soil sampling, drill rig supervision, core logging, manage field logistics, collect geological data, and evaluate results daily in a safe and cost-effective manner.
- Be proactive in approaching and building teamwork with Department Team Members
- Provide a high level of mentoring to the team members and ensure are being developed to their best for future roles
- High degree of interaction with other leaders (removing silos between teams)
- Participate in program planning to ensure that programs are designed considering alternative options,
- costs, target rankings (and are in line with Life of Mine strategy)
- Participate in review of Brownfields targets and rankings, and development of staged evaluation programs
- Develop detailed documentation to justify proposed PFS programs to support Capital applications and Budgets
- Participate in reducing overall PFS costs through effective management, option analysis, minimizing delay times, control of consumables etc.
- Ensure optimal drilling schedule is adhered to and deliver priority targets in timely manner
- Ensure drilling programs are managed to deliver datasets for Mineral Resource updates in line with the Mine Planning cycle and PFS requirements. The incumbent will also be required to evaluate sections maps and plans for the drilling programs.
- Ensuring high quality synthesis maps and presentation are established on all key projects with a focus of geological context in time.
- Increased focus on technical development of geoscientists
- Technical Reports completed on schedule
- Help in technical development of geoscientists; identify high performers and align for advancement
- Ensure continuous improvement processes with Mine Geologist – PFS to deliver improved quality of geological inputs and supervision of brownfield drilling and evaluation activities
- Ensure data capture is subjected to rigorous quality control
- Ensure lithological and structure wireframes / models are continually updated with new data.
- Develop and manage initiatives to deliver cost improvements in areas of responsibility.
- Contractor managements and ensuring working in corruption free environment
- Zero Reputational damaging incidents.
- Brownfields opportunities are reviewed / updated, ranked, and staged programs defined, scheduled, and cost
- accounted. Justification presented to PFS Manager for consideration.
- Ensure Drilling programs are progressing as planned in a safe manner with holes drilled and logged at planned cost. Progress and results are communicated to management in timely fashion
To be considered for the position, you must meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor of Science in Geology
- 4 years’ experience in the geology of the CACB (Central African Copperbelt).
- Experience in managing exploration data/drilling programs
- Hands on experience in field work, exploration data and managing large drilling programs.
- Member of the SEG, GSZ or equivalent
- Knowledge in geology software (Leapfrog, Vulcan software, Acquire/Data-shed, Snowden Supervisor)
- Practical hands-on mapping, sampling, and logging skills.
- Knowledge of economic geology and mineral economics would be an advantage
- Project management
- Actively promote and enforce strict HSE policies and sets the example
- Preferably have or be eligible for a current Zambian / SADC driving license.
Barrick – Lumwana employees that meet the above stated requirements are invited to submit their CVs through http://jobs.barrick.com/ .
Barrick has a strong commitment to environmental, health and safety management.
‘Be Aware of Fraudsters’
Lumwana Mine does not solicit for payment of any funds towards the recruitment process.