BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity. BBC Media Action uses media and communications to reduce poverty and promote human rights in developing countries. Our aim is to inform, connect, and empower people around the world. We work in partnership to provide access to useful, timely, reliable information. We help people make sense of events, engage in dialogue, and take action to improve their lives. Audiences are at the heart of all we do. Our audiences include the journalists and others we train, as well as listeners and viewers. Our work is built on insights from our research and engagement with communities.
We are looking to recruit for the following full-time position: Senior Journalism Mentor/Project Manager
We can offer an initial one-year contract with the possibility of extension depending on performance and funding.
Overall Purpose of the Job
The Senior Journalism Mentor/Project Manager will be responsible for project managing the EU funded ‘Citizens’ Voice’ project which aims to increase transparency and accountability of the National Assembly of Zambia and bring Members of Parliament closer to the citizenry. The project aims to contribute to an increase in transparency of the institution and promote greater openness and engagement. The project will work in partnership with Civil Society for Poverty Reduction (CSPR) to improve the understanding and skills of legislators and citizens, while also supporting CSOs and media stations to provide effective platforms to connect and amplify the voices of people across communities.
S/he will be expected to have a proven background in news and current affairs programming at a senior level. S/he will have a proven ability of programme design and production preferably in radio. S/he will have the overall responsibility for managing the project. This includes managing the partner relations and deliverables of CSPR and media partners. The Senior Journalism Mentor/Project Manager will also be responsible for compiling narrative reports and supporting financial reports as per agreed deadlines. The Senior Journalism Mentor/Project Manager will represent BBC Media Action externally. S/he will be required to abide by BBC Media Action’s Code of Conduct.
The Senior Journalism Mentor/Project Manager will be based in Lusaka but will travel frequently within Zambia. S/he will be part of BBC Media Action’s global team, with opportunities to share knowledge and develop skills.
Essential Knowledge, skills, and experience
- Minimum 6 years of experience of working as radio producer, programme producer or news reporter, at a senior level.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication or related field would be an advantage.
- Excellent editorial and technical skills with solid experience of conceptualizing programmes, editing and production.
- Excellent recording, packaging, and editing skills and familiarity of Adobe Audition a must.
- Strong background in news and/or current affairs programming
- Experience in designing and delivering training modules and/or mentoring is a clear advantage.
- Project management experience including working with partners.
- Ability to conduct work with minimal supervision and good time management skills, with a track record of delivering results to deadline and to a high standard of quality.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in English.
- A valid driving license is essential.
Interested candidates who possess the necessary requirements should send a motivational letter and CV in one document which clearly states the applicant’s name and the position which is being applied for in the subject line. At this stage do not attach any certificates or references. Only applications submitted via email will be accepted. Deadline for submissions is the 5th of February 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please submit applications to: [email protected]