Requisition Number: 506775
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Location: Kalumbila (140km west of Solwezi)
Categories: Construction, Engineering, Mining, Operations / General Management, Projects
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
The holder of this position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Ensuring compliance with mining laws, environmental and safety regulations, and issuing directives to workers to ensure adherence to applicable rules and regulations.
- Communicating routinely and effectively with the Superintendent and other supervisors as required.
- In-field observation and recording of activities in relation to the relevant procedures.
- Direct liaison between the Senior Operations officials and the Operations Superintendent to ensure production goals are met.
- Prioritizing tasks and delegating workload to Operation crews and monitoring progress.
- Directing priority for mobile equipment maintenance based on operational demands,
- Responsible for coordinating all mobile equipment needs and transfer of equipment.
- Maintaining daily, weekly and monthly records of production by writing weekly reports addressed to the Project manager.
- Assessing and recording relevant in-field activities.
- Proactively confront others about safety and security violations.
- Performing other related duties that may be required
- Operations staff coaching.
- Full Grade Twelve (12) Certificate or equivalent
- Minimum of a Diploma in Civil Engineering/Mining Engineering from a recognized institution
- Member of Engineering Institute of Zambia
- First Aid Certificate
- Driver’s Licence
- Minimum of Ten (10) years’ work experience in Mining, or Bulk earthworks/Road Construction on with supporting references (5 years in a supervisory role).
- Comfortable working with machines, and mechanically adept.
- Knowledge of mining rules and regulations
- Proven track record of supervising and managing people.
- Bold initiative
- Thinking safely
- Upholding quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving quantity
- Driving attendance
- Standby and overtime where required
- Exposure to noise / dust
- Working at heights
- Working in confined spaces
Applications close: 28 May 2019 FLE Daylight Time