At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
To supervise the mine crews, to ensure safety is managed, overall development performance is monitored and efficiency of mine workers engaged in surface mining operations in line with MR213.
- Ensures compliance with the Mines Act.
- Ensures workplace safety and environmental standards are established and met, and that standards and procedures are communicated to site personnel
- Assists with filling personnel requirements for mine and other departments
- Assists with sourcing and filling equipment needs
- Prioritizes tasks and delegates workload to mine crews and monitors progress.
- Provides leadership and encourages performance
- Communicates routinely and effectively with the Shift manager and other supervisory personnel as required
- Tracking, analysis and or equipment to ensure optimum usage assisting Mine Captains in pit where there is found to be excessive under/over utilisation of equipment.
- Manage all disciplinary hearings to get zero backlog of cases
- In charge of the operations in the pit within a section or two.
- To follow correct instructions from the respective supervisor and laid down procedure and regulations.
- Performs other related duties that may be required
- Grade 12 Certificate with passes in English, Mathematics and Sciences
- Certificate / Diploma in Mine Engineering from a recognized institution
- Valid Blasting Certificate
- Valid First Aid
- Drivers License
- 3 years’ relevant experience in mining is required, (preferably 1 year’s supervisory experience)
- Comfortable working with machines, and mechanically adept
- Knowledge of mining rules and regulations
- Proven track record of supervising and managing people