SNV Netherlands Development Organisation
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that makes a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty by helping them raise incomes and access basic services. We aim for premium quality and focus on only three sectors: agriculture, energy and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH). With a long-term, local presence in over 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America, we know how governments work and how relationships are built. Implementing our mission exclusively through project financing requires us to work efficiently and invest in operational excellence every day. Our team of more than 1,300 staff is the backbone of SNV.
The Rural WASH Project
SNV Zambia is implementing a water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) project, in rural areas of 4 provinces and targeting multiple stakeholders, including Water and Sanitation Utilities, Local Authorities, private actors and Civil Society organisations. It seeks to professionalize and promote accountability for WASH services in Zambia, paying particular attention to the needs of women and girls, and other vulnerable groups.
In 5 years, the project aims to deliver access to safe water to 633,900 people, provide sanitation services to 500,000 people, reflect effective partnerships with the private sector and Government partners, and improve capacity for 150 organizations.
The WASH Services Delivery Expert will be based in Kasama, Northern Province and is expected to lead all WASH Service delivery project activities, under the supervision of the Provincial Leader, whilst also reporting to the Project Manager.
The purpose of the position is to ensure the timely and appropriate co-design, implementation and monitoring of the activities related with WASH Service provision in coordination with the other project components, in view of the achievement of the project objectives. Specific scope of work is the following:
- Based on evidence, support the identification of the best entry points for water and sanitation service provision
- Assist with the establishment of models for the delegation of WASH service delivery to different types of providers, including facilitating agreement negotiations and the set up of key performance indicators
- Support local service providers to accurately collect data and update data systems
- Provide capacity building to WASH service providers, including on construction (oversight), quality assurance, monitoring of functionality, operations and maintenance and relevant management skills (eg. business plans)
- Facilitate informed choice processes for institutional and community decision making on the best WASH solutions for different needs and contexts, also factoring climate change adaptation, and inclusive and pro-poor solutions
- Consistently monitor and support necessary improvements on WASH service provision in such a way that demand is adequately, efficiently and timely met, against minimum service quality standards and in response to accountability mechanisms
- Assist with increased coordination between key WASH stakeholders overseeing and/or delivering service provision, including preparing and delivering meetings and workshops and facilitating multi-stakeholder platforms
Furthermore, the WASH Services Delivery Expert is expected to:
- Consistently monitor and critically assess progress, pro-actively providing input to adjust/improve the outcomes whenever relevant
- Actively contribute to project’s evaluation and learning activities
- Ensure the project’s visibility and profiling in line with its branding guidelines
- Comply with SNV’s administrative and financial procedures for project planning, implementation, reporting, monitoring and evaluation
- Comply with SNV’s Code of Conduct
- Advanced degree in a related field (e.g. civil, environmental or public health engineering or related)
- At least 7 years of experience working in the WASH sector in Zambia
- Demonstrated knowledge of rural WASH challenges preferably in the Northern Province context
- Sound understanding of the technical aspects underlying high quality WASH service provision
- Knowledge of different technological solutions for different needs and contexts, and ability to tailor them for vulnerable groups (women, people with disabilities, lowest wealth quintiles)
- Expertise in strengthening the capacities of WASH service providers at different levels, both hard (technical) and soft (management) skills; ability to use different approaches for different target audiences
- Experience in facilitating results driven partnerships framed by key performance indicators and cost-recovery parameters; and in identifying and addressing bottlenecks constraining efficient service provision
- Experience in timely managing, delivering and monitoring WASH related activities, including facilitating meetings at multiple levels and preparing/delivering trainings and workshops
- Advanced communication and negotiation skills with different types of stakeholders, from Commercial Utilities to local masons, pump menders, community based organisations and private businesses
- Ability to work independently and with the team
- Good organizing skills and interpersonal skills
- Initiative and creative in solving problems
- Ability to communicate in Bemba. Knowledge of Namwanga is valued.
- Good computer skills (Ms. Word, Ms. Excel, Ms. Power Point, Internet and Outlook)
Duty station: Kasama, with regular travelling to other project locations (Mpika, Chinsali, Nakonde, Lunte and Mungwi)
Contract duration: 1 year contract with the possibility of extension for the duration of the project
Job opening is conditional to approval from project donor
To apply for this job please visit smrtr.io.