The holder of this position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Provide leadership to emergency response personnel during emergencies, ensuring the safety of employees, community and environment.
- Identify and conduct professional and proactive emergency response training so that ERT knowledge and skills gaps are bridged and the team has the competence to respond to emergencies.
- Maintain high standard of fitness and emergency readiness in the Emergency Response Team.
- Conduct quarterly skills assessments to monitor competencies of all ERT members.
- Conduct basic firefighting training for all employees on site.
- Orient managers on disaster management protocols in different scenarios.
- Review and update Emergency Response and Fire Operating Procedures, including site Emergency Response Plans and ensure these are compliant to the applicable government regulations and/or standards.
- Establish and maintain a register of possible emergency scenarios for the site such as Fire, Hazchem Spills, High Wall Failure, Acid Burns, Road Traffic Accidents etc., and ensure the teams are equipped and trained to respond.
- Conduct incident simulations and preparedness drills in line with the likely event scenarios.
- Coordinate, implement and document evacuation drills to ensure evacuations are conducted safely and efficiently.
- Provide technical assistance/advice on risk management issues related to fire protection and emergency preparedness and response.
- Coordinate the inspection and testing of emergency response equipment (fire trucks, trailers, pumps, fixed fire protection systems, safety equipment, etc.) and update inspection records.
- Maintain ERT Equipment Inventory List with design performance specifications.
- Perform any other duties as and when assigned by the Manager
Qualifications & Experience;
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience
- Tertiary qualification in Fire Safety or Emergency Management.
- Paramedic certification will be an added advantage.
- Fire Service Statutory Qualifications, Leading Fire-Fighter, Sub/Officers, Station Fire Officer or equivalent, FF1 / FF2 and Industrial Fire Training Certification.
- Institution of Fire Engineers (IFE).
- Basic Life Support (BLS).
- International Trauma Life Support (ITLS).
- Experience in Fire prevention/protection in the Mining Industry.
- Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA).
- Hazmat Training for First Responders.
- Confined Space Rescue.
- Advanced First Aid for Mining Certificate.
- Rope Rescue / High Angle Rescue.
- Occupation Health and Safety Qualification.
- Knowledge of Administration, Budgets and Human Resource Management.
- Motor vehicle fire suppression system certification.
- Full Job Description available upon request