The Copperbelt University is a Public University established through an Act of Parliament No. 19 of 1987. The University’s core business is Teaching, Research and Community engagement as a service to the nation. The University hereby invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for appointment to the underlisted position under the Dean of Students.
Student Counselor (01 Position – Riverside Campus)
To provide counselling for academic related concerns to students and the University community. Participates in counseling students presenting with psychosocial and academic concerns or problems in order to provide effective guidance on how to deal with them.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Liaises with Assistant Deans of respective Schools regarding students whose performance is affected as a result of their psychosocial problems to effect corrective measures.
- Liaises with families of students (if necessary or by request of client) experiencing psychosocial and academic problems
- Prepares, conducts or facilitates talks, tutorials or seminars and different aspects of socio-cultural and academic life of students, including study skills, time management, examination preparations and rules for living on campus.
- Ensures that the students admitted at various health centres receive appropriate emotional and psychosocial support with a bias towards academics.
- Arranges and facilitates referral of students to other relevant sections or institutions involved with student welfare.
- Interview students or clients and investigate the nature, extent and causes of the problem, taking into account of social, economic environmental, medical, psychological and other potentially relevant factors.
- Investigates personal and social backgrounds of students or clients suffering from mental disorders or psychological maladjustment to discover factors relevant to diagnosis and treatment.
- Explains need the for and the nature of treatment to patient and his or her family.
- Provide guidance to students on change of Quota and appropriate course combinations in their programmes of study.
- Represents the unit on various academic boards of studies at school level.
- Develops and submits quarterly reports to superior for management action.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Required Skills and Attributes
- Must have good interpersonal and communication skills as well as be able to work with highly energized young people with all types of personalities.
- Must have enthusiasm and be goal oriented with the ability to work in team settings.
- Must be efficient, perceptive, flexible dependable, professional with a sound analytical thinking and be able to meet project deadlines.
- Understanding and familiarity with computer applications and word processing functions.
- Have exceptional problem – solving skills to address a variety of psycho-social issues.
- Possesses great listening skills to fully understand the student’s issues before offering help, identify the details and adjust solutions accordingly.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Grade 12 or Form V Certificate minimum of 5 “0” levels with credit or better in English and Mathematics
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Guidance and Counselling and Social Work.
- With 2 years of counselling experience at tertiary level or general social work.
- Membership of Professional bodies for Zambia Counsellors is a must.
Immediate Supervisor: Head Counsellor.
- Salary Scale: PTS 04
Individuals meeting the above requirements should submit their letters of applications, accompanied by detailed CVs and copies of academic and professional certificates. Applicants are to include three (03) names and addresses of referees, two of whom should be professionally acquainted with the applicant. Electronic applications should be emailed to: [email protected] and physical application to:
Jambo Drive, Riverside
P O Box 21692
Closing date is Friday 27th November, 2020.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org