Requisition Number: 501656
Contract Type: On-going
Location: Kalumbila (140km west of Solwezi)
Categories: Mining, Procurement and Logistics
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- Manage the team responsible for procurement, including execute, monitor and approve day to day ordering for stock and non- stock goods in timely fashion, ensuring compliance to Company’s policies and procedures
- Responsible for procurement of reagents/chemicals, as well as parts and spares for fixed plant, and general goods
- Set KPI’s and regular employee reviews and KPI and other performance management and feedback
- Coordinate and chair meetings with key end user groups and Management
- Focus on Urgent orders and expediting.
- Focus on ABC classification and ensure critical stock reorder points are evaluated and prioritized regularly
- Develop, lead and execute procurement strategies
- Designing and analyzing reports to assess key functional matrices to reduce expenses and improve effectiveness
- Assess, manage and mitigate risks
- Ensure all information from other areas are fed into procurement system such as FPA, SLA and
- Consignment Contracts
- Document policies and procedures for implementation
- End User and Vendor Liaison
- Focus on system improvements and business process efficiencies
- To work in a safe manner, complying with and actively contributing to FQM’s Health, Safety and Environmental HSE policies, manuals and procedures. At all times considering the health, safety and welfare of fellow workers, visitors, clients, community and the environment.
- Supplier Liaison
- Degree qualification in Supply, Logistics, Accounting or other Business function preferred. Experience in technical operational roles in mining industry preferred.
Skills & Experience:
- At least 10 years’ experience with a minimum of 5 in a key supply chain leadership role
- Sound background in commerce, logistics and procurement operations with awareness of local and international markets
- Familiarity with sourcing and vendor management
- Operating experience with computer systems, Pronto highly desirable
- Interest in market dynamics along with business sense
- Good working knowledge of excel
- Demonstrate significant leadership skills
- Experience in technical, planning and production aspects
- Analytical Skills: working with multiple vendors to determine the best deals for the company, and have to evaluate the many pros and cons of each, based on price, quality, speed of delivery and other factors
- Decision- Making Skills: gather and use information to make decisions on behalf of the company
- Math Skills will be needed to analyze prices and get the best deals possible
- Negotiating Skills required for working with suppliers and internal stakeholders to create the best deals.
- Exceptional communication, presentation, negotiation and relationship building skills.
- Solid project management experience
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Must be decisive, have business shrewdness and can demonstrate solid problem solving, decision
- making and analytical capabilities
- Safety and Environment
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
- Maintenance of high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings
- The Superintendent: Procurement reports to the Commercial Manager, and works closely with the senior Managers and Superintendents on site, across departments. The successful candidate must be able to create and maintain a positive environment within and across teams, including in high pressure situations.
This role requires regular dealings with various external and internal parties. Accordingly, the incumbent should have proven communication skills and negotiation experience in challenging and dynamic environments. Furthermore, the individual requires strong professional skills, coupled with sound commercial acumen.