At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose:
Reporting to the infrastructure coordinator you will be responsible for assisting in establishment of preventative and responsive Electrical maintenance and development within the Infrastructure operations department across the site. This role also exists to ensure maximum operational performance is achieved in a safe and cost effective manner while ensuring compliance with relevant procedures, polices, legal requirements and consent conditions.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Plan, assigns, supervise and reviews the work of electricians, substation utility men and Air conditioning technicians responsible for the Operation and maintenance activities (preventive, predictive & corrective maintenance) of the plant electrical services section that includes refrigeration and air conditioning, electrical projects, power line maintenance and construction.
- Inspects and evaluates works in progress, identifies any problem areas, and may direct remedial action where necessary to ensure compliance with standard operating and safety procedures.
- Responsible for requisitions of spares, consumables, tools, supplies, materials and equipment.
- Installation of new electrical systems, replacement of old, faulty or redundant Electrical systems as per the Company and vendor’s safety and quality specifications.
- Ensure that all electrical equipments have the correct hardware interlock and safety parameter settings for effective and safe operation.
- Adhere to the company’s planned and preventative maintenance schedules and procedures.
- Effectively maintain the electrical equipment with the minimum effect on plant production.
- Reporting and record keeping.
- Report all incidents immediately to the Supervisor.
- Ensure that all Safety and substation logbooks are checked and signed according to the procedure.
- Ensure that stock levels of electrical equipment are maintained in the warehouse and report all defective or substandard equipment to your direct Supervisor.
- Maintain the correct and safe usage of all hand tools within your section
- Report all defective tools, record and control all replacement of tools.
- Training and development.
- Identify needs for specialised training requirements within your area.
- Any other duties as directed by the Direct Electrical Supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Experience in the operation and maintenance of overhead lines, and high voltage equipment.
- Experience in Siemens, ABB, Schneider VSDs, Danfoss, soft starters and Simocode.
- Experience and knowledge on ABB SF 6 Circuit breakers.
- Demonstrated application of continuous improvement ideas.
- Ability to quickly adapt to technological changes in High voltage Electrical Maintenance.
- Demonstrated ability to work safely and improve team safety awareness.
- Able to diagnose problems and potential problems.
- Certification of HV switching from MSD an added advantage.
- Member of the Engineering Institution of Zambia (EIZ).
- Computer literate.
Key Job Attributes:
- Good Leadership qualities – Bolder, Smarter, Driven.
- Participate and contribute in safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and ensuring appropriate action is taken.
- Maintain a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raise, discuss and resolve safety issues at regular meetings.
- Identify safety hazards and rectify/control.
- Adhere to and enforce all aspects of the company’s health, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- Access safety hazard reports and follow up on corrective actions.
- Run safety meetings/toolbox talks on a daily basis.
- Assist the electrical coordinator in planning of equipment maintenance.
- Ensuring that all tasks are carried out in safe and efficient equipment manner, to assure maximum reliability and policies and procedures.
- Achieving results through prioritizing activities, monitoring the progress of assignments, holding oneself accountable for the results.
- Motivate yourself and others in overcoming obstacles and achieving goals.
- Planning & assisting in laying out of work on new projects.
- Ensuring maximum plant availability at all times.
- A proven ability to work with other disciplines to achieve minimal disruption to plant operating times
Experience required to perform in this job:
- Minimum Five years experience in a Mining environment working as an artisan.
- Knowledge of LV systems, MCC’s and protection.
- Knowledge of LV and MV Transformers.
- Knowledge of Electrical motors.
- Knowledge of variable speed drives, Soft starters and DOL starters.
- Good knowledge on the use of electrical measuring instruments.
- Reading electrical drawings.
- Experience on Power Distribution systems will be an advantage.
- Maintenance of generator/power plants.
- Minimum a Diploma in a relevant field.
- Electrical Technologist or Craft Certificate.
- EIZ registered.
- Driving Licence.