At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
To carry out Tailings Storage Facility (TSF) operation activities as responsible person for management of personnel, safety, resources and delivery of allocated works under the general guidance of TSF Coordinator at shifts to meet daily performance targets.
The holder of the position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Be a courageous leader on-site, protect the safety and health of employees by promoting safe working procedures in accordance with FQM’s HSE policy.
- Supervise various tailings operation activities including cyclone deposition, piezometers, return water system, pumps & pipelines, seepage control and associated dam infrastructure structures.
- Perform daily basis surveillance via routine and event-driven inspections to confirm tailings dams’ performance are satisfactory.
- Conduct TSF Standard Operation Procedures and complete assigned work in a professional manner including necessary measurements, reporting, and recommendations.
- Effectively communicate with Contractors, Operations and Engineering team members to ensure dam management is in accordance with FQM Tailings Management objectives.
- Handle all tasks assigned by the team leader and supervise resources, labor productivity, equipment utilization, and material consumption.
- Be an effective team player to supervise 50+ employees and contribute to overall project objectives and plans.
- Must be willing to work in any shift assign in order to achieve daily performance targets.
- Grade 12 certificate with merit in English, Science, and Mathematics
- Diploma in Geotechnical /Civil/ Metallurgy Engineering or equivalent qualification will be an added advantage.
- Ability to act as a mentor and role model to the dam operators.
- Class C Driver’s License
- Computer literacy relevant to the position
- At least 3 years of experience in a relevant field preferably in the mining industry.
- Knowledge of procedures for operation and inspection of Tailings Dam.
- Bold initiative
- Thinking Safety
- Upholding Quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving Quantity
- Driving attendance
- Must be able to work with minimum Supervision.
- Very good verbal communication skills.