WWF-World Wide Fund for Nature is the world’s largest independent conservation organization, with close to five million supporters and a network active in more than 100 countries on five continents. Our mission is to stop the degradation of the planet’s natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature by conserving the world’s biological diversity, ensuring that the use of renewable natural resources is sustainable and promoting the reduction of pollution and wasteful consumption.
WWF Zambia seeks to recruit proficient, energetic and motivated Interns:
Sustainable Cities Project Intern
Duration: November – April (6 Months)
The Sustainable Cities Project Intern will provide assistance with delivery of the Our Cities 2030 Project in close collaboration with Plan International who are co-implementers of the project with WWF.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducting training for teachers in ESD skills, climate change, risk assessment of climate-related hazards and natural disasters, sustainable lifestyles
- Identifying model schools and youth clubs which support ESD and can be used for learning
- Conducting workshop for teachers and youth representatives on action plans, visions and solutions
- Developing action plans, that address ESD components, such as climate change, risk assessment, sustainable life styles
- Promoting use of social media (Facebook, twitter, whatsapp) among participating youth to share on the visions and solutions for climate smart cities
- Supporting participating model schools and youth clubs/organisations at schools and guide them in engagement in city development by documentation and spreading of best practice.
- Supporting setting up and management of networking platforms such as Facebook, twitter, whatsapp and website for youth through contributing project results, best practice and discussions
- Supporting development of youth visions and solution presentations about climate smart cities
- Dissemination of youth visions and solutions with city planners and other stakeholders (meetings, emailing lists)
- Conducting youth fora in Lusaka (participating schools) where youth visions and solutions are shared with key stakeholders
- Dissemination of the results of the youth fora on community radio, local newspaper and social media (Youth visions and solution)
- Organizing media breakfasts with key stakeholders to share youth fora results
- Soliciting for youth solutions on the climate smart city work
- Promoting models of incorporating students suggestions on city work
- Conducting workshop for city officials on 1.5 degrees trajectories, roadmap development, carbon reporting and youth involvement
- Conducting capacity building workshop in Lusaka on youth involvement in sustainable cities development and climate change
- Supporting youth participation in workshops in city roadmaps development
- Support formation of youth technical committee for engagement with local government
- Conducting annual progress review meetings for the youth technical committee
- Conducting awareness campaigns with participating youth on Lusaka City carbon climate registry
- Bachelors in Development Studies, Geography, Ecology, Environmental Education/ Science or Public Administration
- Must have a good understanding of sustainable development, resilient cities development and climate change.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Basic skills in Education for Sustainable Development (ESD)
- Basic skills in lobbying and advocacy
- Conversant with working in partnerships with public entities like city authorities, education systems (management authorities, secondary or high schools)
- Proficiency with social media platforms (facebook, whatsapp, webpapes, emailing lists etc.)
- Ability to work independently, and with a diverse group of individuals.
- Basic problem solving and critical thinking skills.
How to apply?
Email a cover letter and Curriculum Vitae clearly indicating the position applied for to [email protected] Please ensure that you mention www.gozambiajobs.com as the source of this job advertisement.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for applications: 12th November 2018.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to having a diverse workforce