SolidarMed is the Swiss organisation for health in Africa and improves health care for 1.5 million people in Lesotho, Moçambique, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe. SolidarMed sustainably strengthens and meaningfully expands existing health services.
As a response to the shortage of doctors in rural areas of Zambia, SolidarMed has, since 2009, supported the national training programme for Clinical Practitioners, who are called “Medical Licentiates (ML)” in Zambia. Chainama College of Health Sciences (CCHS) in Lusaka is SolidarMed’s main partner for this project. In 2013/14, the training of MLs was upgraded and accredited as a Bachelor level programme under the auspices of the University of Zambia – School of Medicine. Training cycles are divided into on-site theoretical courses and extensive clinical rotations at accredited General Hospitals, mostly in rural areas of Zambia. SolidarMed offers an exciting opportunity to work closely with CCHS in Lusaka.
For this key position we are looking for an experienced professional with strong management skills and an academic background in medical sciences and/or public health.
Technical Advisor to Chainama College of Health Sciences, Lusaka, Zambia (full time)
Your tasks and responsibilities
- Support CCHS in further developing the ML training programme with a focus on quality of teaching, lecturers’ didactic training and the use of e-learning tools
- Support CCHS to transform additional training courses in their teaching portfolio from Diploma level to BSc degrees (if supported by the national health strategy)
- Work closely with the CCHS Senior Management team to strengthen the College and the academic, managerial, operational and strategic capacities of the team
- Contribute to the implementation of an operational research agenda for the SolidarMed Zambia programme.
- Regular use of project cycle management tools (planning, reporting etc.)
- Strong management, organisational, and capacity building skills and experience
- A degree in Health Sciences (Medicine, International Public Health, or similar)
- Experience of managing training (preferably at Bachelor’s level) in an academic service institution
- Experience of working with e-learning platforms (preferably Moodle)
- Experience of working in African contexts would be an important asset
- Operational research interest and experience
- Open-minded personality, intercultural sensitivity, good communication and networking skills
- Hands-on, pro-active but patient personality, able to develop initiatives
- Fluency in English (good writing skills necessary)
This position is based in Lusaka, but will require frequent travel within Zambia.
We offer a state of the art project with exciting implementation possibilities, opportunities for professional development and stimulating linkages to national and international competence networks. For details of the benefit package available, please see our General Conditions of Employment www.solidarmed.ch/en/solidarmed/jobs. Salary will be commensurate with experience. This is a fixed term appointment of three years. A family posting is possible.
Please email your application to email@example.com citing reference “Technical Advisor CCHS” and include
- your CV including 3 references
- a covering letter outlining your motivation and how you meet the requirements
Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We kindly ask you not to send in duplicate or hard copies of your resume. Ensure that you mention www.gozambiajobs.com as the source of this job advert.
Start date: 1st of October 2017
Deadline for applications: 30th of April 2017