Lubambe Copper Mine
Lubambe Copper Mine is located within the Greater Konkola Area of the Zambian Copperbelt and consists of a large – scale mining license covering an area of approximately 228 square kilometres.
Completed and commissioned in 2012, Lubambe is an underground operation supported by a shaft and decline access with a 2.5 million tonne per annum capacity ore concentrator. The mine’s current depth is 450meters producing a high-grade copper concentrate which is then treated at Zambian smelters.
The mine currently employs 1, 125 direct employees, a further 800 contractors. It places the highest priority on safety with a world class safety system.
Supporting local communities and suppliers is a key business focus of the mine.
EMR Capital owns an 80% controlling interest in Lubambe while ZCCM-IH owns 20%.
The Mine seeks to employ experienced and qualified individuals in the following positions:
TECHNICAL SERVICES MANAGER (X1)
This position reports to The Director – Operations
Core Purpose of the Position
Responsible for leading, co-ordinating and optimising the performance of the Technical Services Department. This includes Mining Engineering, Geology, Geotechnical and Survey functions. They lead the Senior Engineers, Senior Geologists and the Senior Surveyors in the development of short, medium- and long-term underground mine planning, budgeting, cost control, surveying, contracts administration, underground production and construction, geology, hydrogeology and grade control. They also maintain a focus on team development and mentorship to adhere to safety and environmental legislation, regulations, Company policy and procedure, and good management practices.
This role is critical in ensuring the quality and efficiency of geology, mine planning, production and support to other Departments.
Key Performance Areas/Indicators (KPA/Is):
- Provide day-to-day support and leadership for the technical services team ensuring a productive and positive work place environment.
- Ensure optimal utilisation and management of the mine site’s ore resource.
- Monitor and manage Technical activities, ensuring adherence to company goals and targets.
- Direct geology, survey, mine planning, ventilation, infrastructure and projects as managed by the department. Supervise delivery of specific technical support.
- Ensure the team’s alignment with overall cooperate/ company strategy and policies.
- Be responsible for Technical planning, Grade control planning and Economic planning to ensure operational optimisation.
- Direct technical services to ensure that underground mine plan plans are complete and done timely.
- Direct the development of mining methods to improve mining economics, effectiveness and safety, as well as minimize environmental impacts.
- Direct the development and optimization of mine designs, production procedures and systems, mine production planning, scheduling, as well as drill and blast designs.
- Monitor realization of targets for production, grade quality of ore, utilization of workforce and equipment and submit regular reports on performance of mining operations.
- Knowledge and skill of statistical valuation of ore reserves.
- Direct updating of geological database in order to have an up-to-date.
- Geological resource/reserve ore body data for operations at the mine site.
- Perform feasibility studies, plausible mining scenarios, cost estimates and estimates of production potential for brownfield opportunities or potential greenfield mine sites.
- Management of the mine optimisation and associated reporting requirements.
- Ensure the mine operates in a manner consistent with existing department policies, programs, procedures and legislative/regulatory requirements.
- Ensure that production targets are achieved, and mineral resource and reserve data estimates and extraction are optimized.
- Completion of the annual ore resources and reserves statement.
- Completion of the annual mine physicals.
- Direct the development of the annual strategic plans, Life of Mine Plans and also the provision of scheduling and long term / short term strategic planning for the mine.
- Determine safe and efficient means of mining mineral deposits.
- Participate in safety, environmental and quality control processes and initiatives.
- Coordinate and compile data for the operating and capital budgets.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Grade 12 Certificate.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Mining Engineering or Mineral Sciences.
- Detailed understanding of mine planning and geological software
- 5+ years’ experience in a technical / production-based mining operations managerial role.
- Must have Underground experience and familiar with underground mining methods.
- Must be familiar with Zambian Mining and Explosives regulations.
- High level of computer literacy in Ms Office Innovation and pro-active thinking.
- Communication skills and ability to interact within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to read and understand mine plans.
- Ability to use any of these Software e.g. Mine 24D (EPS), AutoCAD, Surpac (Minesched).
- Ability to use any mining software e.g., MicroStation, Datamine, Mine2-4D, EPS, Deswik.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, organizational and presentation skills.
Applicants who meet the above requirements are invited to send their Curriculum Vitae in MS word format to [email protected]. The closing date for receipt of applications is Tuesday 5th January, 2021
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.