Website TechnoServe Zambia Limited
Title: Senior Food Technologist
Reports to: FED Project Director
I. Program Description:
In partnership with the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), TechnoServe is preparing for a 3-year Food Enterprises for a Developed Zambia (FED) Programme. The programme aims to improve the efficiency, profitability and growth of food processing SMEs and contribute to a stronger and more inclusive sector in the country.
II. Position Description:
The Senior Food Technologist is the technical lead overseeing the provision of strategic advisory services to food processors at country level. S/he will oversee all engagements with selected small and growing food processors, with primary focus on clients requiring more advanced, customized support. S/he will collaborate with other team members in-country and across the project, to ensure coordinated and impactful implementation.
- Support the Project Director to collect objective and verifiable information for selection of processors who will contribute to intended program impacts.
- Conduct diagnostic assessments, as assigned by the Project Director, of selected processors to identify priority business and technical challenges.
- Contribute to categorization of selected processors partners into predefined segments to pair them with the appropriate level and sophistication of technical advice.
- Ensure regular communication to maintain clients’ satisfaction with program support and early identification of any problems.
- Plan activities to ensure that the shared objectives are met within the set times and resources and that impact is maximized. Technical Assistance.
- In collaboration with the project team, develop and deliver standardized trainings and quick win solutions to less sophisticated clients with simpler technical and business needs.
- Provide on-the-ground support for implementation of technical advice, on issues identified by the business diagnostic.
- As appropriate, develop and facilitate alignment on project charters for assigned processors.
- Facilitate processors to adopt policies and practices that create safer and more equitable work environments for women.
- Source and facilitate relevant expertise to support the food processors. Liaise between volunteers and processors to ensure clear expectations and smooth communication.
- Facilitate university student internships / apprenticeship initiative with foundational processors, whereby interns will be assigned to processors for a defined period to provide technical support and address identified issues.
- Support local experts and training institutes with technical input on identification of appropriate topics and development of curricula for sector wide training in support of broader industry development.
- Liaise with the Senior Business Development Advisor to identify processors with an interest to improve supply chain linkages to smallholder farmers.
- Support, as necessary, communication and coordination on these areas with assigned clients. Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning
- In coordination with the M&E Manager and Senior Business Development Advisor, manage collection of processor reporting data, review data for accuracy.
- Contribute towards explanations of metric results and provide input to recommendations to adapt program approach as necessary to maximize impact.
- Provide anecdotal evidence of impact, including success stories, case studies and lessons learned.
- Ensure activities carried out are in accordance with TechnoServe and donor requirements.
• Understand all gender integration requirements (donor as well as internal to TechnoServe).