USAID DISCOVER - Health Project
JSI Research and Training Institute, Inc. (JSI) is public health organization that is committed to improving the health and well-being of underserved and vulnerable people and communities throughout the world, and to providing an environment where people of passion and commitment can pursue this cause. JSI seeks highly qualified and accomplished public health leaders and staff for its USAID DISCOVER-Health Project. USAID DISCOVER-Health aims to improve the lives of Zambians by ensuring equitable access to and use of high-quality HIV, maternal new-born and child health (MNCH), family planning and reproductive health (FP/RH) services and products at the district and community levels. The project also supports the Government of Zambia (GRZ) efforts to address the global COVID-19 epidemic, including accelerating the national rollout and scale-up of COVID-19 vaccination. During the next three years the project is conducting a technical assistance role to the Ministry of Health (MOH) for the provision of integrated health services whilst assisting GRZ in COVID-19 activities as directed by donor USAID.
JSI USAID DISCOVER Health Project is recruiting for the following position:
Position Title: Biomedical Technologist
Position Type: Full Time
Reports to: Hub Manager/Supply Chain & Lab Services Coordinator
The Laboratory Technologist ensures that quality laboratory services are provided at the USAID DISCOVER-Health hub. He/she works with colleagues from the MOH at provincial, district and facility levels to ensure that laboratory procedures and tests are conducted to the highest quality. Reporting to the Hub Manager, the Laboratory Technologist is the lead and coordinator for all laboratory work at the USAID DISCOVER-Health hub and outreach sites within their district. The Laboratory Technologist will also ensure that laboratory services at the hub are aligned with the priorities of the Ministry of Health, USAID, PEPFAR, and program beneficiaries.
Main Duties/ Responsibilities
- Perform Clinical chemistry, Haematology, Immunology and other biomedical tests in collaboration with MOH
- Process and store samples for Viral Load (VL) and Early Infant Diagnosis (EID) tests
- Ensure that quality control and other quality assurance procedures are implemented and adhered to in the laboratory
- Coordinate sample referral from USAID DISCOVER-Health outreach sites to the hub lab for testing/processing
- Provide technical assistance and training to USAID DISCOVER-Health outreach teams in laboratory sample collection, handling and transportation
- Inventory management of HIV test kits and laboratory reagents and consumables including ordering commodities from MSL using the Electronic Logistics Management Information System (eLMIS)
- Ensure collaboration with Ministry of Health laboratories within the district
- Laboratory equipment maintenance and trouble shooting
- Represent USAID DISCOVER-Health at district laboratory meetings organized by MOH and other partners
- Work with the Supply Chain Officer to mobilize HIV test kits for hub activities
- Facilitate reporting of consumption data by HTS partners
- Work with the Supply Chain & Lab services team to ensure that laboratory commodities are available at the hub and that all laboratory matters are attended to
- Ensure that client results are secured, stored properly and backed up regularly.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications and Requirements
- Diploma in Biomedical Sciences with at least 5 years’ experience in providing laboratory support and conducting laboratory tests or Bachelor of Science Degree in Biomedical Sciences with at least 3 years’ work experience.
- Grade 12 School Certificate
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others
- Physical fitness and high energy a plus
- Willingness to accept any other reasonable duties, as allocated
Skills and requirements
- Knowledge of relevant medical laboratory technical work and Experience in laboratory quality management systems.
- Demonstrable understanding of effective Sample referral systems
- Proficient in the use of Laboratory Information System LIS(DISA-Lab/elabs etc)
- Training in public health or other related field an advantage
- Computer proficiency in Word, Excel and Power Point
- Excellent analytical, written and communication skills
- Registration with Health professions Council of Zambia, and in possession of a valid practicing license.
To apply please complete the application form available HERE. Applicants are required to submit a cover letter and CV with three references and full addresses and contact information via the application form. Please send your applications addressed to the “Project Director” USAID DISCOVER-Health Project, Stand 45/D/REM-3-A/377, Warthog Road, Kabulonga, and Lusaka, Zambia.
The closing date for receipt of submission of the applications is Friday 10th March, 2023 @17pm CAT.
Only candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within 3 weeks after the closing date, kindly assume that your application was not successful.
Relocation Incentive Disclaimer/Waiver
Please note that the relocation incentive does not apply to this position, therefore you shall NOT be eligible for a relocation allowance. In the event that you are the successful candidate and are appointed into the role, you shall be expected to meet all of the relocation costs associated with the assigned post. When the contract expires, the Company shall not repatriate you back to your place of recruitment.
JSI Research & Training Institute Limited is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or military status (special disabled veterans or veteran status) in any employment decisions.
JSI is a child-safe organization, and the safety and well-being of children is a priority of our organization. We have robust recruitment procedures to ensure that all staff are suited to work with the children served by our programs.
To apply for this job please visit docs.google.com.