Website VVOB Education for Development
VVOB is an international NGO with programmes and projects in 10 countries worldwide. Our head office is based in Brussels, Belgium.
When you join VVOB, you become a key player in VVOB’s mission to ensure quality education as a key enabler for achieving the sustainable development goals. We implement our programmes and projects with one shared passion: to ensure the improvement of quality education. Our teams of national and international experts achieve this by providing technical assistance to governmental and other education actors. In doing so, worldwide we ensure capacity building of governmental and other education actors.
Do you share our ambition to ensure that learners around the world can enjoy their fundamental human right to quality education, without exception? Are you convinced that quality education as well guarantees equal opportunities for everyone and is the key to a better world?
We are looking for a Finance Manager who will operate from our office in Lusaka, Zambia. Do you want to take on this challenge? Then continue reading!
We’re excited to see you found your way to this job opening. That must mean you share our ambition to ensure learners around the world enjoy their fundamental human right to quality education, without exception. We’re looking forward to hearing from you.
Drawing on the great mystery behind our name, Since our establishment in 1982, ‘VVOB’ has evolved from a complex (Dutch) acronym to a stand-alone concept meaning education for development:
· VVOB stands for ‘commitment’ – to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.
· VVOB stands for ‘integrity’ and ‘mutual respect’ – in working with our partner organisations across 10 countries / 3 continents.
· VVOB stands for ‘quality’ and ‘innovation’ – of everything we do in our effort to improve education worldwide.
Do you still feel like you’re in the right place? Great, because we’re hiring a Finance Manager to support our VVOB country team in Zambia.
In Zambia, VVOB is working in partnership with the Ministry of General Education (MoGE). We are building capacity on Early Childhood Education (ECE) and Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL). Our key focus points in ECE are ‘Learning through Play’ and ‘Emergent Literacy’.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE FINANCE MANAGER
The Finance Manager contributes to VVOB’s ambition and values by setting up, managing, executing, monitoring, and optimizing our operational financial systems and guiding the finance team in doing so. The Finance manager knows how to inspire direct reports to grow and change with us and easily navigates between operations and strategy.
The Finance Manager is responsible for the financial department, thus managing all possible direct reports within this department. Furthermore, the Finance Manager will have a dotted reporting line to the Global Finance Head.
Key Result Areas
- Strengthen effective procedures, systems and tools for financial management, reporting, and auditing in line with our Finance Manual using a strong project and change management approach.
- Oversee the financial functions ensuring value, efficiency, and compliance of the organisation to local and global policies.
- Review and manage contracts with suppliers and ensure their compliance with VVOB procedures and relevant country laws.
- Provide strong organisational leadership (on-the-job mentoring, coaching, capacity development, change management) for direct reports and foster good relationships with and between partners and teams, supporting a positive organisational culture.
- Lead by example, represent our organisation towards external stakeholders in domains of finance and procurement.
If you’re our Finance Manager, your workweek at the office will include the following highlights:
- Through reviewing documentation shared by the team, you provide checks and balances to the team and ensure timely and accurate updating of financial records and documentation according to the latest financial guidelines.
- In a meeting with the Education Managers and Project Coordinators, you support on reporting and forecasting to one of our donors and advise on availability of funds for planned activities and large procurements.
- You develop an action plan based on evidence, audit findings and the Finance Manual on how to improve financial processes in the organisation.
- In a meeting with management, you update the team on your proposed improvements to the financial processes and share the action plan with them for discussion and follow up.
Who are you?
This is a national position, open to Zambian Nationals.
Your expertise and experience
- A full Chartered Accounting qualification, and a master’s degree in business management, accounting, finance or related field.
- 5 years of operational management experience in the field of finance.
- 3 years of experience in leading multicultural and effective teams.
- 3 years’ experience in project and change management (preferably related to financial projects).
- Excellent computer skills in MS Office, Excel, Power point and Teams and Other Accounting software.
- Fluent in English + based on Country needs.
VVOB core competences:
- Results orientation
- Continuous improvement
Function specific competencies:
- Communication skills
- Planning and Organization
- Giving direction
What we’re offering:
- A full-time contract with the possibility to extend depending on funding.
- 25% gratuity at year’s end.
- In-patient and out-patient medical package for you and your legal dependents (as proven by marriage certificate and birth certificate(s)).
- Education allowance for your legal children.
- Transport allowance and housing allowance in line with the Zambian employment legislation.
- Supportive environment, enabling continuous professional development.
Your motivation letter and a detailed CV are expected to be sent by e-mail no later than 10th November 2023 to [email protected]
Shortlisted candidates will take a written test and go through an interview process before a final offer.
VVOB firmly believes that quality education can only be achieved if equity is ensured. Qualities of people prevail, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, or disability.