Website VVOB Education for Development
VVOB is an international NGO with programmes and projects in 10 countries worldwide. Our head office is based in Brussels, Belgium.
When you join VVOB, you become a key player in VVOB’s mission to ensure quality education as a key enabler for achieving the sustainable development goals. We implement our programmes and projects with one shared passion: to ensure the improvement of quality education. Our teams of national and international experts achieve this by providing technical assistance to governmental and other education actors. In doing so, worldwide we ensure capacity building of governmental and other education actors.
Do you share our ambition to ensure that learners around the world can enjoy their fundamental human right to quality education, without exception? Are you convinced that quality education as well guarantees equal opportunities for everyone and is the key to a better world?
We are looking for a Finance Officer-Payments who will operate from our office in Lusaka, Zambia. Do you want to take on this challenge? Then continue reading!
Hello! We’re excited to see you found your way to this job opening. That must mean you share our ambition to ensure learners around the world enjoy their fundamental human right to quality education, without exception. We’re looking forward to hearing from you.
But first things first. Allow us to introduce ourselves, drawing on the great mystery behind our name. Since our establishment in 1982, ‘VVOB’ has evolved from a complex (Dutch) acronym to a stand-alone concept meaning education for development:
- VVOB stands for ‘commitment’ – to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.
- VVOB stands for ‘integrity’ and ‘mutual respect’ – in working with our partner organizations across 10 countries / 3 continents.
- VVOB stands for ‘quality’ and ‘innovation’ – of everything we do in our effort to improve education worldwide.
Do you still feel like you’re in the right place? Great, because we’re hiring a Finance Officer to support our VVOB country team in Zambia.
VVOB in Zambia
In Zambia, VVOB is working in partnership with the Ministry of Education (MoE). We are building capacity on Early Childhood Education (ECE) and Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL).
Our key focus points in ECE are ‘Learning through Play’ and ‘Emergent Literacy’.
The evidence based TaRL approach helps learners in Grades 3, 4 and 5 to develop basic reading and numeracy skills. We are currently reaching 8 provinces with our work in ECE.
Our ambition is to support MoE in scaling the ‘Learning through Play’, ‘Emergent Literacy’ and ‘Teaching at the Right Level’ work.
Responsibilities of the Finance Officer
The Finance Officer is, in consultation with the Finance manager, responsible for all payment procedures of all VVOB’s in-country projects. As a Finance Officer you contribute to VVOB’s ambitions and values by taking initiative whenever necessary to ensure the implementation of a high-quality administering of financial resources at the VVOB country office.
The Finance Officer reports to the Finance manager and thus a part of the financial team.
- Ensure timely payments to staff, partners, and providers are consistent with the financial policies and guidelines.
- Review timely the cash position of our local accounts.
Besides this, you will be involved in:
- Administering the budget, contract management system and inventory asset list.
- Facilitating continuous improvement, knowledge building sharing on financial operations.
If you’re our Finance Officer, your workweek at the office will include the following highlights:
- Collaborate with program coordinators and procurement throughout the payment process.
- Lunch! A perfect time to nurture informal relationships with the other team members in Zambia and hear how everyone is doing.
- You discuss the progress you made on your tasks/responsibilities with the finance manager.
- Ensure that payment requests have the relevant support documents.
- Ensure compliance with the organization’s finance policies and guidelines and in line with donor requirements and statutory obligations.
- Support non-finance staff through the payment processes.
Who are you?
This is a national position, open to Zambian Nationals.
Your expertise and experience
- ACCA/CIMA/ZICA part II
- 3+ years’ experience in Financial Operations, specifically in accounting and procurement.
- Excellent computer skills in MS Office and ERP and Other financial system.
- Fluent in English + based on Country needs.
VVOB core competences:
- Results orientation
- Continuous improvement
Function specific competencies:
- Communication skills
- 360° empathy
- Problem analysis and judgement
What we’re offering:
- A full-time contract with the possibility to extend depending on funding.
25% gratuity at year’s end
- In-patient and out-patient medical package for you and your legal dependents (as proven by marriage certificate and birth certificate(s))
- Education allowance for your legal children
- Transport allowance and housing allowance in line with the Zambian employment legislation
- Supportive environment, enabling continuous professional development
- Your motivation letter and a detailed CV are expected to be sent by e-mail no later than 9th February 2024 to [email protected]
- Shortlisted candidates will take a written test and go through an interview process before a final offer.
- VVOB firmly believes that quality education can only be achieved if equity is ensured. Qualities of people prevail, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, or disability.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org