SNV Netherlands Development Organisation http://www.snv.org/ is a Dutch based International Development Organisation that provides market-based solutions for the poor through local institutions and organisations in 28 developing countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
Working in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene, we have built a long-term, local presence in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
The Chambeshi Lukanga Sanitation & Hygiene Project
SNV Zambia is implementing the multi-country, Dutch funded Chambeshi-Lukanga Sanitation & Hygiene project in partnership with Chambeshi and Lukanga Water and Sanitation Companies as well as the respective Local Authorities of Kabwe, Kasama, Mbala, Nakonde and Mpulungu. The 5 years project (2017-2022) aims to sustainably improve access to and use of sanitation services and improve hygiene behaviours for 200,000 and 260,000 people respectively in peri-urban/urban areas. It is built on three core strategic objectives, namely (1) increasing demand for improved WASH facilities and practices, (2) improving the quality of service provision and (3) improving governance of the sector.
Specific scope of work within the project is the following:
- Lead the capacity building of the three Town Councils and support Chambeshi’s Commercial Utility (CU) and other relevant actors, including from the private sector and civil society, to deliver improved WASH services. The WASH Advisor is expected to work collaboratively with different types of partners and drive the achievement of planned results.
- Provide high quality technical guidance on all aspects related with access, containment, emptying, conveyance, treatment, disposal and re-use services for safe human waste management for households, schools, health facilities and public places; and with the provision of hygiene services notably on hygienic use and maintenance of sanitation facilities, hand washing with soap, menstrual hygiene management and solid waste disposal.
- Leading and/or overseeing specific initiatives in the three towns that support the progressive achievement of safely managed sanitation; and provide specific support to infra-structure investments planned in those locations.
- Closely coordinate with team members, receiving and providing advice and technical coaching (when needed) in order to improve quality of performance and troubleshoot.
- Contribute to performance monitoring and learning, systematically documenting processes conducted and lessons learned in view of dissemination of best practices and innovations both nationally and internationally; and using these to support advocacy, business development and profiling efforts.
- Provide WASH technical guidance to local authorities, to the CU, and to private service providers and assist them in meeting their institutional objectives as WASH service providers, in line with national policies, programmes and targets
- Ensure that the quality, safety, outreach and affordability of urban sanitation and hygiene services are progressively increased and that they meet the demand of different types of customers, paying attention to the needs of women and other vulnerable groups
- Prepare and deliver meetings/trainings with local authorities, CUs, private service providers and CSOs and provide follow up/on the job training/coaching when needed
- Oversee, monitor and report on the project’s developments, including infra-structure investments, pro-actively identifying constraints and opportunities and proposing suitable solutions
- Support the development of access and upgrading options, service options for vulnerable areas, city data management and performance standards
- Integrate legal and social information in the search for technical solutions
- Support data collection and research that serve the programme needs at the technical and financing levels of access, storage, emptying, conveyance, treatment, disposal and re-use; and support the testing and dissemination of results
- Assist Project Manager to use programme’s results, innovations and lessons learned to network, advocate and profiling, nationally and internationally, and including for business development purposes
c) Sound knowledge of the WASH context in country, and related policies, programmes, approaches, key challenges and opportunities
d) Experience in providing technical advice, training and advisory services to different WASH stakeholders, notably local authorities and utilities – experience with private service providers and CSOs is an added value
e) Field experience in the Northern and/or Muchinga Provinces is an added value
f) Experience in designing and delivering events/activities/trainings, and in monitoring activities results, including infra-structure investments
g) Pragmatic, results driven, structured work style skills
h) Ability to communicate with a different range of stakeholders and partners, including government counterparts and international partners and donors
i) Ability to document activities in an organized, straightforward way
j) Good computer skills (Ms. Word, Ms. Excel, Ms. Power Point, Internet and Outlook)