Short term contract – Water Stewardship Officer – Zambia
Are you a dynamic, innovative and impact driven individual who would like to contribute to conservation? Then you are the candidate that WWF (The World Wide Fund for Nature) is looking for. WWF is an International Non-Governmental Organization that deals with conservation of nature. Our mission is to stop the degradation of the planet’s natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature.
Duty Post: Lusaka.
The Water Stewardship Officer plays a supportive role to the Water Stewardship Manager in the planning, coordination, and implementation of WWF’s multi-sectoral landscape-based water stewardship interventions in its current Zambezi Freshwater Programme. He/She would have the role of undertaking activities including: engaging with stakeholders; project planning, implementation of work plans, provide assistance with projects on the ground; assist in day to day tasks related to programme execution.
- Support the implementation of the Water Stewardship approach in Zambia, help advocate and promote business involvement in catchment governance, work with Zambian businesses to build interest and incentives in improved water resources management.
- In support of the Water Stewardship Manager – undertake standard project management tasks as appropriate including drafting project concepts, preparation of budgets and work plans, support the management and supervision of contracts with consultants and partners, as well as completing timely reports to WWF senior management.
- Implement existing initiatives related to WWF’s water stewardship strategy in focal landscapes.
- Perform any other project related activities/duties as required and directed by the Water Stewardship Manager.
- Bachelors’-level degree in an appropriate field (environment /natural resource management / sustainability/ economics/ business / political science); Masters would be an added advantage.
- At least 3 years of experience of work in the private sector and being able to demonstrate understanding of private sector approaches to sourcing and managing natural resources.
- Good project management skills and proven initiative, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Accountability and a commitment to WWF’s mission.
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural context and the ability to respect and work well with people from different cultures and backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills in English – including writing, speaking and listening.
- Valid Driver’s License
The incumbent will report to the Water Stewardship Manager. As well as being an integral part of WWF-Zambia Freshwater Team, the post-holder will be expected to work closely with other colleagues in the WWF Zambia office, including the (thematic) project leaders and those leading on interventions in the Lower Kafue sub-basin, across programs. He/she will also work in close partnership with colleagues across the WWF Network, especially the Water stewardship and Africa freshwater officers in WWF Germany, WWF Netherlands and other relevant offices as such SA, US and UK and the Head of the Water Stewardship programme in the WWF Freshwater Practice.
How to apply?
Applications must include a cover letter and CV with full contact details of three referees sent as one file with subject line “Water Stewardship Officer – Zambia”, to The People, Culture & Operations Manager – Zambia through [email protected] to be received not later than 20th April 2019 at 17:00.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.