Clean water, decent toilets and hygiene are three essentials that help people lead
dignified and healthy lives. They should be normal for everyone, but for millions ofpeople they are not. We are determined to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene a normal part of everyday life for everyone, everywhere within a generation.
Purpose of Role
WaterAid is on a mission to change normal for millions of people within a generation
– by getting clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene to everyone, everywhere by 2030.
This role will ensure compliance with WaterAid financial policies and procedures for payments, receipts and cash management, and ensure completeness and accuracy of WaterAid financial accounts as well as escalating issues to the Head of Finance & IT and Finance Manager as may be necessary.
- Ensure accurate and adequate documentation and recording of WaterAid Zambia Incomes and expenditures in compliance with country programme and global policy and procedures.
- Review and interrogate payment requests through the Digital Finance App
- Collate and undertake weekly payment runs after thorough review from the
Digital Finance App
- Ensuring to complete the payment of all statutory deductions in line with the provisions of the law.
Management of Intra-Organisational Accounts
- Ensure all payments on behalf of other country programmes or UK (NPEs) are posted before the cut-off date and all offshore payments are posted and accounts reconciled with the Offshore Report from UK.
- Ensure bank payments are initiated following the review and approval of the payment run in line with agreed procedures and uploading payments onto the bank internet platform for approval by signatories.
Policy and Procedure
- Guide and provide support to staff in the application of WAZ charter of accounts, budget codes, financial policies and procedures.
- Take responsibility for reviewing & reconciling Balance Sheet accounts making corrections as necessary following the approval of the Finance Manager,Banking
- Maintain adequate relationships with banking institutions and ensure accurate and up-to-date database of signatories of all WaterAid Zambia bank accounts.
- Regularly review assigned risk management roles and ensure adequate controls are in place and report accordingly.
- Prepare monthly cash request and follow up with UK on fund transfer.
- Working with the Office & Logistics Administrator to ensure the Fixed Asset Register is updated promptly with new acquisitions and disposals in line with existing WaterAid global practices and ensure it reconciles with information in GAS.
- The role will require occasional travel in-country.
- Occasional travel may be required to other countries in the region or internationally.
Experience and Technical Skills Skills and Abilities
- Professional accounting qualifications such as ZICA Licentiate or its equivalent with five years post qualifying experience. Membership with ZICA is a must.
- Excellent knowledge of carrying out risk assessments and managing
- Analytical and attention to detail;
- Excellent planning and prioritization skills and ability to work under pressure in a fast paced environment;
- Good presentation and problem solving skills;
- Ability to work independently;
Experience and Technical Skills and Abilities implementation of necessary interventions.
- Strong knowledge of accounting for nonprofit organizations and financial management best practices.
- Experience in cash flow management
- Experience of using an accounting packages preferably Sun System.
- Excellent knowledge of Excel a must
- Demonstrated sound and in-depth knowledge of Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, Financial Management and relevant laws (Taxation, Pensions, NGO Board Act, Trustees incorporation Act, etc.
- Understanding of WASH Sector
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written);
- Good interpersonal skills, especially influencing;
- Able to demonstrate commitment to WaterAid’s Values and a working style and approach that reflects these.
Our people promise
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, and a commitment to playing their part in changing normal. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best.
This is our pledge to you.
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind.
The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate pre-employment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.
WaterAid is an equal opportunity, disability-confident employer and committed to achieving the highest standards of diversity, fairness and equality. If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV, via email to [email protected] using “Finance Officer” as the subject