It’s hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet – around one in three of the world’s population. Every two minutes a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation across the various countries where we work.
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
WaterAid Zambia is looking for a Head of Funding to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone in Zambia by 2030.
Under the general guidance and direct supervision of the Country Director, you will be responsible for the overall coordination, planning, development, and management of a public and private sector fundraising strategy to mobilise resources and support accountability of transparent grant management. The role is responsible for the analysis and management of all fundraising channels and activities, ensuring long-term, restricted and unrestricted resources for the Zambia Country Programme.
This is a very critical role with oversight for raising and managing funds from a diversified mix of private and public sources including mass engagement, grant making private foundations
and bilateral /multilateral donors.
The role will focus on the following specifically:
- Effectively conduct market analysis on funding trends
- Gather business intelligence
- Identify and participate in responding to business opportunities in the country
- Join existing and /or create new and relevant networks in-
country to position WaterAid Zambia for funding partnerships
- Coordinate pre-bid, bid and post bid processes for Zambia
- Coordinate intelligence gathering
- Initiate Go/No Go decisions
- Business Development and Fundraising
- Donor contracts management
- Capacity Building
- Donor engagement
To be successful, you’ll need:
- Minimum of a University degree in International Development, Business, Marketing or other related discipline
- Minimum of Ten (10) years of prior work experience and at
least three (3) years should be at senior management level with responsibility for funding and resource mobilisation
- Strong marketing and business development competencies
- Experience in designing projects and delivering activities under tight completion deadlines.
- Strong understanding and experience from managing grant funding from key multilateral and bilateral donors including USAID, DFID, EC etc.
- Experience developing donor specific grant project log frames and reporting tools and in applying such tools in reviewing, monitoring and reporting against funder contracts.
- Proven experience developing and reviewing grant funding
proposals with evidence of managing end to end process from
proposal development to new grant project start up.
- Proven experience in building and successfully maintaining
strong working relationships with diverse personalities both internally and with external funders
- Experience of working in a matrix management structure
- Full commitment to WaterAid’s vision, mission and values
and a way of working that demonstrates this, with the ability to communicate this enthusiasm to others.
Willing and able to travel, predominately to WaterAid and partner locations within the CP with some travel in the region.
For a full job description, visit www.wateraid.org/jobs.
*Please note that this is not a Finance role
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV, via email to [email protected] using “Head of Funding” as the subject. Please provide details of at least three relevant references and clearly indicate details of your current remuneration package.
The deadline for receiving applications is 27th April 2018 and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
Please note: in order to apply for this role, you must demonstrate your eligibility to work in Zambia.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
No recruitment agencies please.