It’s hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet – around one in three of the world’s population. Every two minutes a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation.
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
WaterAid is looking for a Hygiene Specialist to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone in Zambia by 2030.
This is a middle management role responsible for overall development, coordination and management of Hygiene programmes. This position is responsible for setting, achieving and maintaining quality standards in the delivery of hygiene and behaviour change programmes. This role will ensure that the programmes remain coherent, integrates policy and practice and develops its practice and initiatives on integration with health, education and nutrition sectors. This position will also ensure that programme interventions and partnerships remain relevant and influence policy, practice and systems across sectors at district and town levels.
This position is responsible for ensuring the quality and effectiveness of the social, behavioural, and technological options and interventions of WaterAid Zambia’s programmes. The post holder will also be expected to pilot new and innovative initiatives where they have the potential to enable the delivery of plans and goals.
The Hygiene Specialist role will focus on the following specifically:
- The development, planning and management of the hygiene programme in WaterAid Zambia Programme
- The supporting of partner capacity development in implementing sustainable hygiene interventions
- Collaboration and Networking with others to for learning and upscaling hygiene approaches
- The Monitoring of progress in implementing the hygiene programme
- Fundraising and ensuring accountability of resources secured for hygiene interventions
To be successful, you’ll need:
- A Masters’ Degree in Public Health, Environmental Health, Development Planning or Development Studies from a recognised University, or professional qualifications in civil engineering, water and sanitation, or environmental health.
- Diploma in public health, environmental health with over 8 years’ experience at senior level will be considered in
- Experience in participatory monitoring and evaluation approaches and proven experience in hygiene/public health work in the Zambian context.
- Experience in implementation of integrated programmes and experience in leading development of models and approaches and packaging learning
- Aclear understanding of Hygiene programming and policy context.
- In-depth knowledge of participatory approaches, facilitation and training techniques.
- Full commitment to WaterAid’s vision, mission and values and a way of working that demonstrates this, with the ability to communicate this enthusiasm to others.
The role will require some travel in-country and could involve some travel in the region or internationally
For a full job description, visit www.wateraid.org/jobs.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV, via email to [email protected] using ‘Hygiene Specialist” as the subject. Please provide details of at least three relevant references and clearly indicate details of your current remuneration package.
The deadline for receiving applications is 27th April 2018.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
Please note: in order to apply for this role, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Zambia.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
No recruitment agencies please.