It’s hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet – around one in three of the world’s population. Every two minutes a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation.
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
WaterAid is looking for a Programme Manager – Hygiene to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone in Zambia by 2030.
This is a middle management role responsible for overall development, coordination and management of Hygiene programmes. This position is responsible for setting, achieving and maintaining quality standards in the delivery of hygiene and behaviour change programmes. This role will ensure that the programmes remain coherent, integrates policy and practice and develops its practice and initiatives on integration with health, education and nutrition sectors. This position will also ensure that programme interventions and partnerships remain relevant and influence policy, practice and systems across sectors at district and town levels.
This position is responsible for ensuring the quality and effectiveness of the social, behavioural, and technological options and interventions of WaterAid Zambia’s programmes. The post holder will also be expected to pilot new and innovative initiatives where they have the potential to enable the delivery of plans and goals.
The Programme Manager – Hygiene role will focus on the following specifically:
- Programme Planning, Development and Management
- Fundraising and Grants Management
- Partnership development, support and management
- Collaboration and Networking
- Support learning and development of staff and partners
- Leadership & People Management
To be successful, you’ll need:
- A Masters’ Degree in Development Planning or Development Studies from a recognised University, or professional qualifications in civil engineering, water and sanitation, or environmental health.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in programme planning, development and management at managerial level in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
- Experience in participatory monitoring and evaluation approaches and proven experience in water and sanitation work in the Zambian context.
- Experience in developing and managing projects, including staff, budgeting and budget management.
- Experience in implementation of integrated programmes and experience in leading development of models and approaches and packaging learning
- A clear understanding of Hygiene programming and policy contexts
- Experience of development and management of teams and partner organisations
- In-depth knowledge of participatory approaches, facilitation and training techniques.
- Ability to think strategically & translate development and fiscal plans
- Full commitment to WaterAid’s vision, mission and values and a way of working that demonstrates this, with the ability to communicate this enthusiasm to others.
The role will require some travel in-country and could involve some travel in the region or internationally
For a full job description, visit www.wateraid.org/jobs.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV, via email to [email protected] using ‘Programme Manager – Hygiene” as the subject by 16th November 2018. Please provide details of at least three relevant references and clearly indicate details of your current remuneration package. Please ensure that you mention www.gozambiajobs.com as the source of this job advertisement.
Please note: in order to apply for this role, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Zambia.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
No recruitment agencies please.