NOTE: This position is contingent upon donor funding.
PATH is an international organization that drives transformative innovation to save lives and improve health, especially among women and children. We accelerate innovation across five platforms—vaccines, drugs, diagnostics, devices, and system and service innovations—that harness our entrepreneurial insight, scientific and public health expertise, and passion for health equity. By mobilizing partners around the world, we take innovation to scale, working alongside countries primarily in Africa and Asia to tackle their greatest health needs. Together, we deliver measurable results that disrupt the cycle of poor health.
PATH is seeking a Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Expert for an anticipated USAID-funded Scaling Up Nutrition Technical Assistance Activity in Zambia. The goal of the five-year activity is to reduce stunting by 15% in target provinces and will focus on ensuring: 1) adequate quantity and quality of dietary intake among targeted groups, and 2) adequate health conditions for biological utilization of nutrients.
The Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Expert will work closely and collaboratively with the Chief of Party (and other senior technical leads) and will be primarily responsible for ensuring that strategies increase adoption of household hygiene practices, improve access to safe drinking water, facilitate access to safe sanitation in communities and schools, and reduce exposure to causes of disease and environmental enteropathy.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Ensure the smooth, efficient and effective start-up and implementation of the WASH marketing and hygiene behavior change components of the project.
- Coordinate with all project staff on the design, implementation, and monitoring of an integrated platform that synergistically and holistically addresses nutrition-sensitive needs at the household level.
- Ensure development of detailed implementation plans, collection of appropriate baseline and monitoring data, including clear process and impact indicators, and effective project monitoring and evaluation procedures to ensure accountability,
- Guarantee timely and accurate donor reporting.
- Seek to continuously improve programs, initiate new project implementation strategies as needed, and plan for expansion of project impact, as appropriate.
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate key staff for the WASH component – and oversee this process for less senior staff – and ensure that personnel policies are followed.
- In partnership with the other senior technical staff, establish and maintain good relationships with project co-implementers; government ministries and departments; NGOs working in the area and other key stakeholders. Attend coordination meetings as appropriate. Ensure that activities are coordinated with relevant stakeholders, including communities.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Extensive experience managing water, sanitation, and hygiene programs in developing county contexts and preferably, in Africa.
- Experience in the field of WASH marketing, including franchising, demand and supply side dynamics, behavior change communication, and social marketing.
- Experience integrating WASH and Nutrition programs is highly desirable.
- Minimum of MSc/Master’s in Civil Engineering, Water Supply and Sanitation Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Water Resources Management, Public Health or qualifications that demonstrate relevance to WASH project management.
- A history of productive involvement with governmental health systems, processes and service delivery models in developing countries.
- Demonstrated knowledge and background in community mobilization and engagement;
- Demonstrated problem solving skills, collaboration experience, creativity and willingness to innovate.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations.
- Familiarity and understanding of USAID policies and procedures, or those of other donors, or those of donor-funded projects or community-based projects.
- Fluent oral and strong analytical, written English communications skills is required.
- Demonstrated ability to address behavior change issues in improving household WASH.
- Extensive work experience in Zambia (local candidates strongly encouraged to apply).
Must have legal authorization to work in Zambia.
PATH is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is valued.
PATH is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. PATH does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://path.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&jobid=302538&company_id=15780&version=1&source=ONLINE&JobOwner=1013084&startflag=1 →