Chintumukulu Conservancy Project Manager – Muchinga Province, Zambia
WeForest is an international non-profit association headquartered in Belgium and with current projects in Brazil, Ethiopia, India, Malawi, Tanzania, and Zambia. Its mission is to advance innovative, scalable and lasting solutions to restore forest and landscapes for the climate, the people and the planet.
WeForest aims to support the Mpumba Natural Resources Conservation Society (MNRCS) in preserving the fauna & flora of the Chintumukulu Conservancy (8,474 ha) and the establishment of a forest landscape corridor between the networks of Luangwa protected areas to the east and the Lavushi Manda National Park to the west.
We are therefore looking for a Project Manager located at the conservancy in the Muchinga province in order to start up this new project. The position reports to the Director of Zambia and works in close collaboration with local partners (conservation society, landowners and communities) monitoring project performance in the field.
The main role is to start up and coordinate the implementation of the project in the Chintumukulu Conservancy and to engage main stakeholders outside the Conservancy in the development of a forest landscape corridor.
1. Ensure strong ownership of the project by local stakeholders and particularly the Mpumba Natural Resources Conservation Society, traditional authorities and landowners.
2. Coordinate the project implementation according to agreed objectives, budget, timelines and standards.
3. Implement the M&E protocol for the certification under the Climate, Community and Biodiversity standards.
4. Supervise and reinforce competencies of the staff involved in the project implementation.
5. Process and submit administrative and financial documents to WeForest Zambia coordination: progress report, project costing / budget, contract, payment requests.
Stakeholders engagement for the establishment of a forest landscape corridor
6. Coordinate consultancies to evaluate the benefits of establishing a larger forest landscape corridor that would include the Conservancy (social, economic, environmental and stakeholder analysis) and what is at stake for the key stakeholders.
7. Engage the main stakeholders to design a strategy and action plan for the establishment of a forest landscape corridor
8. Facilitate a Market Systems based sectoral intervention to reduce the pressure on forest resources, generate income, improve livelihoods and encourage support for forest protection by communities living around the Conservancy
Capacity building and Institutional Sustainability
9. Strengthen the Mpumba Natural Resources Conservation Society’s capacity to lead the day to day management of the Conservancy.
10. Develop and implement with the Mpumba Natural Resources Conservation Society a business plan for the sustainable management and funding of the Conservancy by local stakeholders including an exit strategy to sustain the Conservancy beyond the project lifespan.
11. Report regularly on project progress, performance and provide communication materials
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Graduated professional (Masters minimum) with at least 5 years experience in forestry, ecology, natural resource management in the (Miombo) Forest biome
2. Proven experience in protected area management in Africa
3. Proven experience in participatory approaches and developing sustainability strategies for conservation projects
4. Knowledge in mapping for conservation through GIS is a plus
Project Management and Stakeholder Engagement
1. Substantial experience in project management and the different steps involved including project design, monitoring & evaluation and sustainability strategies
2. Flexibility to manage/work with different stakeholders such as consultants, researchers, local communities, landowners, State agents and partners/local NGOs
Communication, documentation and language skills
3. Fluent in English (both spoken and written) and mastering Bemba/Bisa is a plus
4. Strong and clear communication skills (both internal and external)
5. Comfortable with partners such as local communities, officials and landowners
6. Capacity to identify relevant project themes and stories for communication
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Contract type: renewable consultancy contract initially for 2 (two) years. Due to remoteness of the project, we are open to couples who can fill both advertised positions.
WeForest will not cover relocation costs
Position: Full-time consultancy contract, based in or nearby the Chintumukulu Conservancy, Lavushi-manda district, Muchinga Province, Zambia
Start date: ideally September 2020
Package: Competitive package for a small NGO, with remuneration based on experience
Please send applications in English to [email protected] with your CV, a motivation letter (1 page max including salary expectation) and the contact of 2 recent references by July, 25th, 2020. Make sure to mention the job title in the subject of the email, and to indicate where you saw the job post. Due to the anticipated high number of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. We thank you in advance for your interest.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org