Position Title: Communications Officer
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Report to: Program Manager – Women Leaders For Climate Action
WWF-Zambia is seeking to employ a Communications Officer under the Women Leaders for Climate Action program. (WLCA). WLCA comprises a group of Influential Women from different social & economic fields who play a critical role in supporting and influencing the delivery of sustainable and climate resilient futures for communities, businesses, and ecosystems. Through this program, the women intend to close the ever-growing gap of unsupported, under-funded climate action initiatives delivered at community level while creating a pipeline of investable climate projects for the Women Leaders to tap into at individual or organizational level.
This is a two-year term position, with the possibility of renewal. Its core responsibility is to support communications for innovative conservation delivery across the office with a specific focus on our sustainable finance and generally biodiversity conservation program activities. This position is designed to support the implementation of strategic communications to raise the ambition of WLCA conservation advocacy in Zambia.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
In collaboration with the Communications Manager and the Conservation program teams:
- Support the Program Manager in the process of developing a clear communications strategy and plan that will deliver communications impact and market widely the WLCA Brand.
- Develop and implement a clear communications work plan with clear objectives for undertaking all communications activities.
- Develop a clear media network for supporting WLCA communications work, working with national and locally based media houses in Zambia
- Create, review & edit content for publication across various platforms (print, digital, electronic mediums).
- Manage WLCA social media channels to maintain & increase digital presence
- Initiate and implement creative social media campaigns in support of key WWF campaigns
- Lead the participation of WLCA in key commemorative events related to conservation
- Support the development of key communications assets for fundraising purposes
- Support the monitoring of media mentions for WLCA and generate monthly reports for showing coverage
- Manage the production of content for WLCA media engagement. This will include the design of communication tools &production materials.
- Manage digital content on WLCA’s website
- Plays a key role in producing monthly and quarterly newsletters
- Secure media space on new and existing platforms to ensure maximum coverage for WLCA
Internal: Interacts regularly with members of WLCA
External: Interacts with government departments, research centers, universities, and others.
Bachelor’s degree in communications or marketing in any related field. Master is an added advantage
- At least 5 years’ experience in managing creative / production processes and preferably experience with successful 360-degree campaigns (including; ATL, BTL, video, TV, radio, media, PR, digital, budgets)
- Strong planning and coordination skills for effective communications
- Excellent writing skills and ability to produce past articles written by candidate
- Excellent public speaking skills with a good command of English and knowledge of the Zambian language
- Video production skills and knowledge of the process
- Proven knowledge of working effectively across a range of media platforms and networks
- Demonstrated interest and commitment to sustainable natural resource management;
- Computer literacy and graphic design skills
- Driver’s license.
Required Skills and Competences:
- Demonstrated project management experience and the ability to work independently and/or with minimal supervision
- Ability to perform in a deadline-driven, high-pressure environment
- Solid written and grammatical skills, and strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to network, develop and maintain strong relationships with the private sector, government officials, and donor agencies
- Experience working effectively in partnership arrangements
- Knowledge of Microsoft applications.
- Demonstrable editorial judgement in posting and packaging content, and in developing online activities that elicit desired actions by target audiences and are aligned with an organization’s brand.
- Experience in identifying communication opportunities that enhance the organization’s reputation and build stronger connections with the community and stakeholders.
- Knowledge and interest in the environment, conservation and sustainable development, and experience in working for an organization in one of these fields. In particular, at least 3 years’ experience in developing content that makes complex content clear, informs conservation action and/or influences the conservation agenda.
- Good understanding of copyright and intellectual property laws regarding others’ online content.
- Up to date with the latest technologies regarding digital communications including online community platforms, CRM systems, email lists, social channels, multimedia, online events, and content management systems.
- Good troubleshooting skills to ensure access to digital platforms and solve compatibility issues across publishing platforms
Embodiment of WWF Global behavioral competencies:
Strive for Impact
- I am results-driven.
- Everything I do, the way I think, plan and implement is driven by a relentless search for impact.
- I go beyond my point of view and strive to see the bigger picture from different perspectives. I stay curious and listen deeply to what others have to say.
- I’m a global citizen working for a living planet.
- I am constantly thinking of how with others, together, we can be more impactful.
- I work across boundaries, openly ask for help, and share what I know, both internally and externally.
- I take risks to find better solutions.
- I measure progress and learn from mistakes. I share both success & failures. I encourage others to do the same.
HOW TO APPLY?
All interested applicants should email their applications (Cover Letter and CV) to [email protected], with the subject line “Communications Officer – WLCA Application”. The deadline for applications is end of day Monday 12th September, 2022.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
This job description is in line with WWF’s values: Courage, Collaboration, Integrity and Respect