Position title: Manager, Government Relations & Strategic Partnerships
Reports to: Country Director, WWF Zambia
Supervises: Policy and Advocacy Coordinator
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
1. MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
To structure and support WWF Zambia Country Office strategic engagement and influence with policy makers and other strategic partners to help deliver governance outcomes that support drive conservation impact at scale. To lead WWF Zambia management and conservation teams to pursue, shape and deliver policy, governance and partnership outcomes that achieve WWF Zambia‘s
emerging 10 year vision and strategy. Drive policy and partnership activities that help WWF Zambia catalyze transformations for conservation and sustainable development in pursuit of a greener Zambia economy. Share leadership as part of senior management to deliver the WWF Zambia transformation journey or roadmap to move from a country office to a national office. Support regional and national policy advocacy efforts of WWF.
2. JOB PURPOSE
To lead the planning, execution and monitoring of WWF Zambia policy influencing and governance strategy to secure political commitments and strategic partnerships that support WWF Zambia’s strategic conservation priorities. Provide leadership in the development and implementation of WWF Zambia’s partnership approach with government, private sector and CSOs.
3. MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Programmes Development and Implementation
Participates in the development of WWF Zambia conservation strategy and strategic change
- Provide technical support in the development of natural resources governance and policy programmes/initiatives in line with national priorities and WWF international governance practice broad goals for transformative change
- Leads and supports WWF Zambia’s annual planning and budgeting for its Policy and Governance engagement with government, civil society and partners to deliver specific policy and governance outcomes
- Provides programmatic support and technical advice to project teams and field staff in responding to policy and governance initiatives and opportunities including constitutional, policy and legislative processes;
- Identify and advocate for the mainstreaming and alignment of NRM Policy and Governance related initiatives within the country, regional and WWF global strategic and action plans as well as Global Initiatives Governance and policy needs;
- Contributes to the development of strategies for building effective WWF Zambia and Civil Society Policy Advocacy capacity to engage and influence county, national, relevant international policies;
- Leads in the assessments, tracking and reporting of progress against strategic goals relating to policy and governance programme implementation and action plans including quality assurance and capacity building;
- Directly supports and contributes to WWF performance monitoring systems i.e. APMS, SPMS and Dashboard;
- Offers effective supervision including mentoring and performance management of staff under the Programme;
- Prepares and presents periodic technical reports on the progress of implementation of conservation programmes and project activities including timely donor reporting in the designated area.
4. Partnerships, Collaboration & linkages
- Lead advocacy and relationship building towards specific policy advocacy and strategic relationship outcomes
- Identifies and pursues strategic collaborations and partnerships with governments, private sector , Civil Society organizations, WWF stakeholders and professional bodies in advancing governance in conservation programmes;
- Support conservation teams to identify and nurture key relationships and opportunities to deliver WWF Zambia strategic opportunities, with direct responsibilities to nurture assigned relationships.
- Initiates and/or develops strategic conservation related policy research alliances between WWF Zambia, WWF Network and other NOs in order to advance conservation goals;
- Promotes cross programmes and projects linkages and synergy in order to mainstream policy & governance initiatives;
- Participates in knowledge management through policy research, publication and dissemination of policy briefs and papers including representing WWF Zambia in national, regional and international policy platforms;
- Champions the domestication of relevant national and regional policy instruments at local level in promoting sustainable natural resource management;
- In consultation with the Director, Conservation Programmes facilitates cross-border initiatives to promote good governance in natural resource management.
5. Management of Resources and Budgets
- Leads the development of bankable policy & governance programme proposals as part of the wider resource mobilization strategy;
- In consultation with the finance team, develops a cost-effective budget, schedule and tracks policy and governance programmes to ensure compliance;
- Ensures prudent management and safety of assets and resources including intellectual properties under custody;
- Coordinate and review and structure projects that lead to governance outcomes.
6. Leadership and People Management
- Leads teams in strategy development and strategy execution to secure policy and public investments commitments to support WWF Zambia priorities.
- Develops and implements the necessary policy, governance and advocacy training strategies for WWF and partners;
- Supervises all policy & governance programmes staff
- Role model WWF behaviours and values
- Manage consultants
- Coordinates setting of programme work plans and staff performance targets and undertakes periodic performance appraisal for programmes staff;
- Liaises with Human Resource function in carrying out staff training needs assessments and recommends training programs to address performance gaps;
- Maintains staff discipline and ensures effective handling of staff grievances in consultation with HR function and disciplinary committee;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
7. Required Skills and Competencies
- Strong understanding of the political economy of Zambia, actors and institutions within the and political decision making processes needed to advance natural resource governance
- Policy development and policy influencing skills and experience
- Planning, Program development and management skills of impact and outcomes
- Leadership and people management skills;
- Problem solving and conflict management skills;
- Technical report writing
- Proposal development skills;
- Organizational and communication skills;
- Negotiation and contract management skills;
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to network and to develop and maintain strong relationships at all levels;
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, plan and implement strategic initiatives within the context of conservation, natural resource management, international development, and/or other related fields.
Adhehence to WWF Global behavioural competencies:
- Strive for Impact «I am results driven. Everything I do, the way I think, plan and implement is driven by a relentless search for impact. »
- Listen Deeply «I go beyond my point of view and strive to see the bigger picture from different perspectives. I stay curious and listen deeply to what others have to say. »
- Collaborate Openly «I’m a global citizen working for a living planet. I am constantly thinking of how with others, together, we can be more impactful. I work across boundaries, openly ask for help and share what I know, both internally and externally. »
- Innovate Fearlessly «I take risks to find better solutions. I measure progress and learn from
mistakes. I share both success & failures. I encourage others to do the same. »
- 7 years of experience at management level in a similar role influencing policy at national, regional and global levels securing political commitments that support natural resource governance or sustainable development outcomes
- Tangible track record of successful lobbying and advocacy outcomes through influencing policy making and policy implementation
- Tangible track record making successful teams
- Tangible track recording of drafting proposals and securing funding
- Experience working on public, private sector and CSO partnerships an added advantage.
- Bachelors in public policy development or natural resource management policy studies
- Master’s degree in Policy, international relations and development, development studies,
social sciences, or management and training or related field will be an added advantage
10. Working Relationships
Internal: Interacts with the WWF Zambia, Country Director, Heads of Department and staff on a daily basis, and as required coordinates and interacts with the Regional Programmes, species teams, and WWF ROA, WWF International, and other WWF Network staff.
External: Interacts with national governmental institutions, non-governmental organizations, academic institutions, the media, donors, specialists / consultants, and other stakeholders, in collaboration with the WWF Zambia Country Director.
HOW TO APPLY?
All interested applicants should send their applications (Cover letter and CV) to [email protected], with the subject line “Government Relations and Strategic Partnerships Manager Application”. The deadline for applications is end of day, Monday 12th September, 2022.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
This job description is in line with WWF’s values: Courage, Collaboration, Integrity and Respect.