Job Title: Water Resources Expert, WWF Zambia
Department/Projects: Climate Change Adaptation in Forest and Agricultural Mosaic Landscapes
Location: WWF Zambia, Lusaka
Project Sites: Lusangazi, Petauke, Nyimba, Sioma and Sesheke
Report: Project Manager, WWF Zambia
Contract Tenure: 2 years renewable up to a maximum of 3 years
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) with funding from the Global Environment Facility (GEF) has awarded World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) to implement the Climate Change Adaptation in Forest and Agricultural Mosaic Landscapes Project. The project will use a landscape approach that engages and strengthens uptake and diffusion of technologies and practices for adaptive capacity through Forest and Farm Producer Organizations (FFPOs), Farmer Field Schools, viable cooperatives, and other community-based organizations within local communities, including community forestry. The project will be implemented in Six districts that are vulnerable to climate risks and hazards (droughts in particular) and have high rates of forest degradation and deforestation, and these are Lusangazi, Petauke, and Nyimba in Eastern Province and Sioma, Mwandi and Sesheke in Western Province.
The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) Zambia will be responsible for executing the project, in close collaboration with the Zambian Forestry Department (FD), Ministry of Agriculture and the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). WWF Zambia will coordinate activities with national bodies related to the different project components, as well as the project partners. The project will be guided by the Project Steering Committee (PSC) on policy issues and linkage to relevant national bodies. The project will be guided by the Technical Committee, one in Eastern Province and one in Western Province as the main bodies governing the project activities undertaken in the respective provinces.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Scope of Work:
The Water Resources Specialist, recruited by WWF, will oversee daily implementation of all water related project activities on behalf of WWF and is a member of the Project Management Unit (PMU). S/he will work closely with the Project Manager and within the framework delineated by the PSC. S/he will be responsible, among others, for:
- Provide technical implementation support for the implementation of all water related project outputs and activities and ensure technical soundness of all water components of the project.
- Lead the implementation of science-based and climate-resilient groundwater management plans.
- Coordinate the development of Practical guidelines and training for groundwater management planning, management and protection.
- Facilitate the development of District Groundwater Development Action Plans
- Facilitate the development of Community Water Supply and Management Plans
- Coordinate and closely monitor the implementation of project activities related to water.
- Close and effective coordination and collaboration with the Department of Water Resources Development, Department of Water Supply and Sanitation and other Government departments;
- · Facilitate the development of Water Management Plans of the five target districts through participatory processes to address climate change and groundwater management issues
- Provide technical guidance for the capacity development of local institutions, responsible for water resource management, development and protection to ensure sustainability beyond the project lifespan.
- Preparation of water related technical outputs, e.g. knowledge products, reports and case studies, documentaries.
- Ensure effective engagement of stakeholders as per Stakeholder Engagement Plan.
- Support the Project Manager in providing project data and input necessary for completing all donor technical progress reports and other donor compliance requirements
- Support Project Manager in stakeholder engagements on water related components, including making key presentations where need arises; and
- Participate in all PMU meetings
- Master’s degree in Water Resources Management, Hydrology, Hydro-geology, Water Engineering, Agriculture Engineering or a closely related field.
- Water expert shall be a registered member of a recognized professional body such as Engineering Institution of Zambia (EIZ) and registered to practice by an appropriate body such as the Engineering Registration Board (Eng.R.B) or similar professional bodies
- A minimum of 10 years’ relevant work experience including at least 6 years’ experience in water sector in a similar field.
- Ability to understand and interpret maps, geographical data, historical evidence and models to build a conceptual understanding of the groundwater regime in the project area
- Experience with Groundwater flow modelling and model maintenance
- Experience with designing and commissioning of boreholes
- Experience implementing and supervising pumping test /yield analysis programs
- Experience with mapping tools such as QGIS, ARC GIS and Global Mapper
- Strong organizational, data gathering, Report writing and analytical skills
- Experience in the community engagement related to water programs
- Experience in working and collaborating within governments is an asset as well as experience in GEF projects is an added advantage.
- Experience with catchment management planning process.
- Knowledge of the Government targets for the water sector and its key stakeholders and mandates
- Knowledge of the national rural water supply and sanitation programme (NRWSSP)
- Fluent in English including writing and communication skills.
The Water Resources Specialist will report to the Project Manager. In addition to this role, the Water Resources Specialist will work with the PSC, PTC and FAO Country office to ensure the availability of information on progress and performance regarding the implementation of the project. S/he will deliver progress reports on a monthly basis to the PM which shall include: i) status of activities; and ii) challenges encountered on the ground during project execution, proposed recommendations.
How to Apply?
Email cover letter and CV to [email protected] by end of day, Wednesday 28th May, 2022. Please mention “Your name- Water Resources Expert” as your subject of your email.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This job description is in line with WWF’s values: Courage, Integrity, Respect, Collaboration.