Website ZAMBIA ALLIANCE OF WOMEN
a women led Non-Governmental Organisation
Concept Note / Terms of Reference
Baseline Study on Effective Participation of Women in Resource Governance and Climate Action in Mumbwa and Petauke District
Zambia Alliance of Women (ZAW) in partnership with We Effect with funding from SIDA through its flagship Programme “Effective Participation of Women in Resource Governance and Climate Action in Zambia” (PWEZGRAC) under the We Effect CIVSAM programme will conduct Baseline Study in Mumbwa and Petauke districts. The Baseline Study will analyse the current situation to identify the starting point of the 5 years project. It will look at what information must be considered and analysed to establish a baseline or starting point, the benchmark against which future progress can be assessed. This will specifically focus at informing the level of women involvement in resource governance and climate action in Zambia by picking the project target groups as a sample alongside the traditional leadership, district and local authority. ZAW will employ Consultant to administer questionnaires jointly with its staff and thereafter produce Baseline Report.
1.1. About the Women Participation in Resource Governance and Climate Action in Zambia (PWEZGRAC)
Under the project “Effective Participation of Women in Resource Governance and Climate Action in Zambia” (PWEZGRAC) ZAW wants to advance climate justice which is about promoting rights-based approach to climate change challenges by calling for realisation that addressing the negative consequences of climate change cannot ignore differentiated responsibilities of women or disproportionate burden on countries of the South such as Zambia. It promotes the view that those most affected by environmental changes must be genuine partners in all efforts and that gender dimensions should be recognized. Women have played a major role in denouncing both the consequences of climate change and the dominant economic model that disregards the intrinsic value of nature and the centrality of care. The project has two main objectives:
- Gender Equal, Productive and Climate Resilient communities holding Government to account on Gender equality and equity in access to productive resources and representation in decision making
- Gender Equality and Equity addressed in resource allocation in Zambia through inclusive and responsive Legal framework.
The Project will work with 3600 direct beneficiaries (70% women and 30% men) in Mumbwa and Petauke over the period of 5 years.
It is critical for every project to conduct baseline study at the beginning to enable measuring of impact during and after project implementation. The baseline information will be used as benchmark against future assessments. This project has set objectives and outcomes to be met within specified timeframe and to ascertain whether these have been met, baseline report becomes very critical.
To establish baseline information on the level of participation of women in resource governance and climate action in Zambia.
3.1. Specific actions
- Field study through face-to-face engagement with Individuals in the community, Focus group discussions and Stakeholders (Government at district level, Traditional leaders and Business Investors)
- Desk analysis the legal framework around Gender Equality and Equity in Resource Allocation and Climate Action in Zambia
- Establish actual numbers of women involved in decision making, employment and access/ownership of land and other productive resources in target areas.
- Recommend actions and improvements to bridge gaps in favour of women participation in resource governance and climate action.
4.0. Scope of Assignment
ZAW requires a consultant to conduct baseline study and develop Report. This Baseline Study will be conducted within ZAW project areas in Mumbwa and Petauke. The Sample size shall be 420 people: 240 in Petauke and 180 in Mumbwa. The gender disaggregation ratio shall be 70:30 women and men respectively. Consultant working with Staff will administer questionnaires (data collection tool) to target group, district Government and local authority leaders and Investors and hand over the data collected to consultant who will conduct desk review of legal frame and produce baseline report. The interviews will take the form of face to face for both Individuals and focus group comprising a minimum of 24 groups of 10 each in all the 2 districts.
Ahead of developing the Baseline Report, the Consultant will be required to conduct a thorough but focussed assessment by:
- Analysing the legal framework around Gender Equality and Equity in Resource Allocation and Climate Action in Zambia
- Establishing actual numbers of women involved in decision making, employment and access/ownership of land and other productive resources in target areas.
- Recommending actions and improvements to bridge gaps in favour of women participation in resource governance and climate action.
16 days, staggered within 30 days (The Research will be conducted within 9 days, the desk review and report writing by consultant will be conducted within 7 days.
- Zero draft Baseline Report (Produced after data collection and Research)
- Draft Baseline Report (Produced after effecting comments from Stakeholders)
- Final Baseline Report (Produced after submitting Report to We Effect by ZAW)
7.0. Qualifications and Experience
- A social science degree or equivalent academic qualification in a relevant field
- A master’s degree will be an added advantage
- Previous experience in undertaking Baseline of an NGO similar to ZAW
- An understanding of Feminist Organisations and Participatory Approaches
- Experience in Extractives and Environmental sector
- Ability to deliver within specified and agreed timeframe
The Baseline Report shall be produced in English and submitted as printed and electronic copy to ZAW. The Consultant will report to the Executive Director of ZAW.
9.0. Submission of Technical and Financial Proposal
Prospective Consultants will provide a technical proposal outlining proposed methodology and workplan. The deadline for the submission of the technical and financial proposal is Monday 20th November 2023. The Technical and Financial Proposal should be accompanied by Credentials of the Consultant should be submitted to the Executive Director of Zambia Alliance of Women (ZAW) via email to [email protected] and copied to zambiaallianceofwomen@gmail.