Zambia Dairy Transformation Programme
The Zambia Dairy Transformation Programme (ZDTP) is seeking a Consultant / Consultancy Team to support the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock to develop a national dairy policy and accompanying strategy which will provide a framework to support the transformation of the industry.
The Main activities and expected outputs of the consultancy are:
1. Review the Dairy Value Chain study (carried out under ZDTP), DAZ dairy strategy and associated literature to ensure familiarity with the dairy sector in Zambia.
2. Work with members of the MFL and other key stakeholders to develop a draft policy (in line with government template) and accompanying strategy to guide development of the dairy industry over the next 10 years. Consideration should be given to funding mechanisms for strategy implementation. The roles of responsibilities of different actors should be defined.
3. Review the Dairy Industry Development Act (2010) and other dairy related legislation to identify areas of alignment with the policy / strategy and areas where legislation may need to be developed or refined;
4. Facilitate an industry wide consultation and present an endorsed policy and strategy to the Policy and Planning Department of MFL for Cabinet approval and national roll out.
1. National dairy policy in the format required for submission to Cabinet;
2. National dairy strategy with implementation plan, roles and responsibilities and funding requirements;
3. Short report detailing any deficiencies / areas of concern with the policy or strategy, especially with regards to their alignment with the Dairy Industry Development Act (2010) and other Dairy Related legislation, plus any areas where legislation is absent and would be required in order for the policy and strategy to achieve their desired results.
Skills and experience of the consultant / consultancy team
- At least ten years’ experience of agricultural policy analysis and development, ideally including livestock / dairy;
- Experience developing national sector strategies and realistic implementation plans with indicators to monitor progress;
- Experience reviewing legislation to ensure alignment with policies and strategies;
- Demonstrated understanding of market systems in perishable livestock products / dairy industry;
- Solid understanding of smallholder livestock farming (ideally dairy) and the constraints / opportunities which the external context, policies, actors (public, private, other) and legislation can have;
- Understanding of the different modalities (e.g. public-private partnerships) that can be used to support and enable the growth of smallholder farming business;
- Understanding of cross cutting and internationally important issues which are relevant to the dairy value chain, such as gender, climate resilience, environmental sustainability, one health, antimicrobial resistance;
- Critical thinker;
- Strong facilitation skills;
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and oral;
- History of collaboration with other actors;
- Strong skills in relevant Microsoft Office packages (Word, Excel, Powerpoint);
- Previous experience of working in Africa, especially Zambia, is desirable.
How to express interest
If you are interested in this consultancy, please provide a short (1-2 page) expression of interest which covers:
- Name and qualifications of lead consultant and, if applicable, other members of consultancy team ;
- Draft timeline (how long would the consultancy take, when would it be expected to start and end);
- Key activities to be carried out and methodology (maximum 1 page);
- Total expected cost in USD;
- An example of two equivalent pieces of work previously carried out by the consultant (consultancy team)
Please send the above to Tania Thomson (ZDTP Country Programme Manager) at: [email protected] before 21 hrs on Sunday 25th October 2020.
For additional information, please contact Tania on 096 456 4206.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com