Website ZiparInfo ZAMBIA INSTITUTE FOR POLICY ANALYSIS AND RESEARCH
A dynamic think tank of international repute Influencing public
The Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research (ZIPAR) is the leading think tank in Zambia, with a distinctly international character. The think tank provides an environment for creative thinking and conducting policy analysis and research, promotes dialogue and advocacy and delivers capacity building and training. Overtime, the Institute has grown to become a critical reference in the social and economic policy discourse in Zambia.
To support the Executive Director to effectively engage with stakeholders to promote evidence-based policies in a sustainable manner, ZIPAR seeks a dynamic and experienced person to fill the position of Internal Auditor.
The Internal Auditor will be responsible for planning, directing and supervising that an independent system-wide internal system audit is conducted to review and evaluate the existence and effectiveness of the relevant control systems
- Develops and recommends plans, policies and objectives management audit, financial audit, quality audit, facility and property audit and security functions audit;
- Assists all members of Management in the effective discharge of their responsibilities by furnishing them with analyses, appraisals, recommendations and pertinent comments concerning activities reviewed;
- Reviews on a regular basis that the control systems throughout the organization are adequate;
- Document, evaluate and test systems and controls of audit clients to determine their adequacy and effectiveness;
- Ensures systems and controls comply with policies and procedures, accomplishment of management’s objectives, reliability and integrity of information, economical use of resources and safeguarding of assets;
- Provides service to the Institution through developing and supervising continuous program of compliance, financial, IT, performance and/or fraud audit in areas of assignment;
- Responsible to ongoing analysis of various data from different information sources and systems and identifies exceptions and recommending them for prioritization;
- Plans, directs and supervises that an independent system-wide internal system auditing is conducted to review and evaluate the existence and effectiveness of the relevant control system on performance and operation, Finance, Institution facility, property and security;
- Reviews and recommends action on system-wide procedural changes originated by operational and supportive Units involving operation, financial activities, work methods, systems and procedures;
- Reviews and audits that all properties of the Institution are registered and physically exist and that an effective system exists for control of the Institution property;
- Develops and recommends plans, policies, procedures and objectives for performance, operational, financial, IT, facility and property audit and security system audit;
- Ensure the planned IMS are developed, properly implemented and controlled;
- Monitor and measure the IMS to see its effectiveness and efficiency through continuous internal audits;
- Initiate management review of the performance of IMS at defined interval;
- Controls the proper and timely implementation of measures intended for rectifying problems identified in internal or external audit reports submitted to the Board;
- Reviews the existence of relevant standards to control economic and effective utilization of Institution resources and evaluates performance as per such standards;
- Recommends effective policy, procedures and systems with the view of minimizing embezzlement of the Institution fund;
- Investigates and reports fraudulent issues & areas susceptible for corruption regarding the various activities of the Institution;
- Reviews the reliability and integrity of financial and operating information systems;
- Keeps in safe custody all and any information or documents obtained in the course of carrying out its duties and utilize such information and document only in connection with its duties;
- Reviews and recommends management policy and procedures and audits their implementation;
- Reviews the internal control systems of the Institution, identifies and reports on weaknesses in control systems employed or ineffectiveness or non-compliance with policies and procedures and notifies all concerned;
- Reviews requested and proposed changes on systems, policies, procedures and working methods to evaluate impact on effectiveness of control systems;
- Conducts special audit investigation as directed by the Management, the Board or upon its own initiative;
- Develops procedures for monitoring and evaluating of effective implementation of policies and procedures;
- Consults with the management the implementation of approved audit report recommendation;
- Audits existence of clear, valid and reliable document management systems and policy.
- Consults management to enhance preventive control measures and implementation of approved audit report recommendations;
- Prepares Quarterly and Annual Action Plan intended to audit financial and related performance parameters of the Institution and submits for Board approval;
- Performs other special assignments that may be given from time to time by the Executive Director;
1. Required Education/Qualifications
a). Essential Qualifications
Grade 12 Certificate or equivalent.
Fully qualified Professional Chartered Accountant with a recognisable accounting body such as Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA), Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) or Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) or equivalent.
Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
b). Preferred Qualifications
Master’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business or equivalent.
2. Professional Memberships
Must be a registered and paid-up member of the Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA).
Member of IIA Zambia
At least 5 years’ work experience in auditing, at a senior level
At least 5 years of Public (GRZ) audit experience
b) Preferred Experience
Knowledge of grant funds management.
In-depth knowledge of Accounting Standards – International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
Decision making – demonstrates logic, rationality and objectivity in decision making whilst balancing speed vs. thorough approach.
Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
Strong oral, report writing and presentation skills.
Exceptional interpersonal and team-working skills and the ability to communicate at all levels.
The ability to work in a pressured and unstructured environment and to cope with the demands of tight deadlines.
Adaptability – adapts quickly to change and copes well with complexity.
Integrity – consistent, trustworthy, fair and uses facts.
Strong leadership skills; particularly in dealing with highly skilled professionals.
Excellent computational skills
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should submit their applications, electronically, with supporting documentation all in a single attachment to [email protected]:
The applications should be clearly marked with job title and applicant’s name as the subject of the email and should be addressed to:
The Executive Director
Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research
P.O. Box 50782
ZIPAR is an equal opportunity employer. Women are encouraged to apply. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline : 10th March, 2023