Have you ever wondered if the way you treat people affects your chances of finding a job in Zambia?
In this article we define what is meant by manners and how you can apply good manners to help you find a job.
What is the definition of manners?
Manners (noun): “a person’s outward bearing; way of speaking to and treating others.”
Why do manners matter?
Employers value people who have good communication skills, who are respectful and polite to those around them. In essence, employers value people who have good manners. People with good manners are able to build strong working relationships, and strong working relationships can help to contribute to the success of an organization.
Do you have good manners?
Below are some examples how you can demonstrate that you have good manners:
1. Respect the organisation or recruiter by not sending a generic application or CV.
2. Research the role and the organisation and demonstrate your knowledge in your application and interview.
3. Arrive in good time (early) for the interview and ensure that your cell phone is switched off and out of sight.
4. Be polite and courteous to ALL employees of the organisation.
5. Say “please” and “thank you.” This includes:
- Thanking the employer when they invite you to the interview
- Thanking whomever interviews you on the day of the interview
- Sending a follow-up thank you letter or email after you have attended the interview
Simple things such as remembering to say “please” and “thank you” will help the employer to form a good impression of you. Remember that displaying your excellent manners is a skill that shows that you respect others and will be able to build good working relationships. If you are able to demonstrate this skill during the application and interview procedure you could improve your chances of success.
To find more careers articles visit: Careers Advice
Search for Jobs
To search for the latest jobs in Zambia visit: www.gozambiajobs.com