An Animal Nutritionist is responsible for creating and balancing rations to ensure all dietary needs are met for animals under their supervision.
As an animal nutritionist, you’ll need to:
- Evaluate the chemical and nutritional value of feeds, feed supplements, grass and forage for commercial animals.
- Formulate diets and rations to maximise growth, reproduction, health and performance
assess the relative nutritional and economic value of feeding systems
- Research the effectiveness of dietary regimes conduct animal-based studies and laboratory trials
- Support agricultural consultants in their work
- Liaise with producers and clients to understand their targets and objectives, and the specific needs of the market.
- Monitor feed formulations to meet quality performance and animal health standards
- Provide advice on nutrition to farmers, other animal owners, veterinarians and government bodies
- Rationalise animal feed manufacturing techniques
- Expand existing ranges of animal food products and develop new ones
- Support commercial teams in producing and launching new products
- Carry out sales and marketing strategies following the launch of a new product
- Balance growing consumer interest in quality with the need to develop competitive agricultural systems
- Maintain expertise in nutritional trends and keep up to date with regulatory changes
- Use software to formulate diets, conduct research and generate reports
- Investigate nutritional disorders and the safe storage of feeds, often in conjunction with veterinary surgeons.
- Experience: A minimum of 2 years
- Academic Qualification: A minimum of a Diploma in ( Animal Science with experience in feed production systems).
- Must have experience in maximizing economic output through equalizing of nutrition and production parameters
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work influentially across interfaces are important
- Must have excellent analytical and report writing skills
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal, including the ability to professionally interact with people at all levels are essential
- Experience in formulation software, i.e. Format or Spesfeed would be ideal