At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Job title: Junior Mechanical Engineer
Site: Kansanshi Mining Plc.
Department: Smelter Engineering
Section: Continuous Improvement Section
Position reports to: Senior Supervisor-Condition Monitoring and NDT
Grade: Grade 14
Direct reports: N/A
To assist in managing the daily maintenance and planned shut down activities in the different Mechanical Sections at the Smelter.
This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
The position covers the following and other areas as may be instructed by the line Manager
- Filter Plant and Materials Handling Plant
- Primary Smelting Plant
- Secondary Smelting Plant
- Acid Plant
- Oxygen Plant and Utilities
- Continuous Improvement (Structural fabrication, piping and installation, Civil Construction, Condition Monitoring, Maintenance Planning and Heavy Mobile Equipment Maintenance)
- Assist the Senior Supervisors to inspect Plant installations and implement predictive maintenance programs and improvements
- Review and develop new PM tasks and standard operating procedures
- Assist in conducting job specific risk assessments
- Assist in Root Cause Failure Analysis on equipment across the Plant to eliminate repetition of the same in future for continuous optimization of company assets.
- Help prepare operating plans, budgets and capital expenditure proposals to maintain and improve operations of the plant.
- Conduct daily or regular inspection of the plant to gather fresh information as basis in creating optimized work schedules
- Identify and recommend on-the-job training for artisans and assistants’ upskilling
Kansanshi Mining Plc
- Assist with design reviews for Projects
- Assist with lubrication management programs
- May perform other tasks as directed by the line manager.
- Sound knowledge of safety in the work place including 5s application
- Practical knowledge on lubrication management
- Practical experience in maintenance and diagnostics on pumps, gearboxes, fans, blowers, agitators, cooling towers, and turbomachinery
- Knowledgeable on the different maintenance strategies applicable
- Practical knowledge on Root Cause Analysis
- Able to use MS project for shutdown work planning
- Technical report writting
- Able to use computerized maintenance management systems such as Pronto
- Knowledgeable on condition monitoring technologies
- Equipment maintenance troubleshooting
- Knowledge on high pressure piping and pressure vessels including applicable codes of practice
- Knowledge on statutory compliance requirements on pressure vessels, boilers and girder cranes
- Knowledgeable on material selection for different industrial applications
- Able to interpret and troubleshoot hydraulic and pneumatic systems
- Able to interpret engineering drawings
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Member of the Engineering Institution of Zambia.
- 1 – 2 years experience in a Mining set up or a similar large engineering or multi-disciplinary project environment.
- Bold Initiative
- Driven – Quantity & Quality
- THINK Levels Compliance
- Driving Attendance
Kansanshi Mining Plc
- Able to read, write and communicate in English.
- Physically fit and able to work at heights and in confined spaces.
- Hard working and self-driven
- Prepared to work occasionally in noisy and dusty/gaseous environments
- Team player
- Demonstrate quality workmanship consistently
- Ability to complete work on schedule
- Disciplined and respectful towards others
- Prepared to work long hours when necessary- Overtime and call out work may be required.
- Capable of working in a fast-paced, enthusiastic production orientated environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Commitment to achieving Engineering excellence.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge to various practical problems.
- A desire to learn and continually develop.