At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose:
The role involves advising the environmental management team, middle management and employees on environmental management requirements develop and implement procedures and management plans and liaison with government on environmental management performance and Mine Rehabilitation requirements.
Specific Job Responsibility:
- Preparation and implementation of the Mine Rehabilitation Plan and respective procedures/forms and technical guidelines.
- Schedule and conduct systematic rehabilitation of disturbed areas on the mine site and ensure timely identification of potential risk areas.
- Ensure weekly, monthly and annual update of areas requiring rehabilitation and apply appropriate methods.
- Ensure that all equipment under mine rehabilitation are maintained and are in good condition for any assignment needed such as the hydro-seeder, tractor, lawnmowers, brush cutters, hammermill and other small tools and their associated accessories.
- Timely identification of all tools needed to enhance the efficiency of the work under mine rehabilitation.
- Effective management of all contractors performing rehabilitation work.
- Ensure that the Nursery and Grass Rootstocks are well managed to guarantee seeds and seedlings throughout mine life.
- Coordinate bio remediation of contaminated soils at sentinel site.
- Conduct annual test trials on rehabilitation of the TSF and Waste Rock Dumps.
- Timely procurement of mine rehabilitation equipment and consumables such as brush cutters, lawnmowers and accessories and other small tools.
- Communication of critical risk areas and potential solutions.
- Perform any other duties assigned to by supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Contribute to compliance with the Zambian Environmental Legal requirements, corporate commitments and international best practices.
- Must be able to demonstrate Environmental law and compliance requirements.
- Environmental management in general.
- Knowledge and experience with Environmental Management System (EMS).
- Must be able to demonstrate various techniques of rehabilitation.
Key Job Attributes
- Positive attitude is imperative.
- Technically competent and good leadership skills.
- Able to develop and encourage the team.
- Good interpersonal skills and able to create a good network with people within KML
- Must have empathy to conserve and enhance nature
- Must be environmental and safety conscious
- Must pay attention to detail
- Must be meticulous
Experience required to perform in this job:
- At least 3 years’ experience in environmental management.
- Relevant experience in the mining industry.
- Valid experience in the same field.
- Full Grade twelve certificate.
- At least a Bachelor of Science in Forestry or related fields and minimum of 3 years’ experience in environmental management. Maturity, hands-on attitude, self-supervision, team spirit and proactivity are key attributes for the job.
- A valid driving licence is required.