Website African Parks Zambia
African Parks Zambia
African Parks Zambia is inviting applications from suitably qualified personnel for the following position:
TITLE: Senior Community Extension Officer
SUPERVISOR: Community Manager
CONTRACT: Employment Contract (3 years) Renewable
LOCATION: Kalabo, Liuwa Plain National Park, Zambia
CLOSING DATE: 21 December 2018
The Senior Community Extension Officer is responsible for assisting the Community Manager in facilitating, promoting and ensuring community planning development and monitoring empowerment initiatives of Liuwa Plain National Park and his/her role includes the following aspects:
- Ensure timely implementation and monitoring of community development programmes.
- Monitor the implementation of the land use plan in all its components – from training to outreach and enforcement.
- Work closely with TLC and the “Game Changer project” regarding the sensitization and implementation of projects.
- Implement and supervise all outreach activities for the community at large. This includes but is not limited to write-up news bulletins, quarterly newsletters organization of African Parks´ participation in public events, radio shows, displays, presentations, etc.
- Contribute to the production of environmental conservation articles for school conservation clubs.
- Supervision of community projects funded by African Parks.
- Supervision and monitoring of Environmental Education programmes.
- Completion of administrative functions to ensure the program is properly funded and administered. This includes but is not limited to budget preparation, report writing, assistance with office operations.
- Support strong working relationships with traditional authorities, government institutions, NGOs and CBOs.
- Supervising school conservation clubs’ activities.
- Supporting the LEEP activities in Liuwa.
- Work with traditional authorities in ensuring community participation in community development initiatives.
- Supervise conservation agriculture activities with Field extension officers.
- Provide activity reports to the Community Manager.
- Provide support to the Community Resources Management Board.
- Support the efforts of the Village Action Groups in community awareness programs, participatory community development initiatives.
- Provide timely guidance to the communities in issues of governance.
- Provide leadership to the Field Extension Officers in conservation and development facilitation.
- Participate in key public events.
a. Fulfilling the role of the Community Manager in his/her absence.
b. Any further reasonable and lawful request made to you by Management.
Minimum requirements, capabilities, competencies, and experience needed for the job
- Fluent English and Lozi (written and spoken)
- Knowledge of working with traditional authorities as this will be required to collaborate with The Barotse Royal Establishment at all levels.
- Knowledge of local and regional development potential and opportunities in Western province.
- Understanding of relevant local legislation, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to develop and analyze community development plans.
- Knowledge of the Zambia Wildlife Act and its implications for communities.
- Knowledge of environmental education programs.
- Excellent computer skills, ability to use Microsoft Application packages (Word, Excel, Publisher, Access).
- A valid clean class B driving license.
- Good people skills and ability to supervise and motivate staff effectively.
- Ability to resolve conflicts, effective negotiation, and mediation skills.
- Ability to work in remote and physically demanding circumstances.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong team building and decision making skills.
- Effective verbal, presentation and listening/ communications skills.
- Ability to travel within Kalabo district, specifically Liuwa Plain National Park.
- Strong background knowledge in Wildlife Conservation/Community/Rural Development.
- Three years work experience in similar capacity.
- The position will only be considered for Zambian citizens.
All applications should be sent to the following email address:[email protected]
Deadline for applications is Friday 21 December 2018.
Please include in the email:
- Letter of application, where the community experience of the applicant is outlined
- Curriculum Vitae
Please ensure that you mention www.gozambiajobs.com as the source of this job advertisement.
African Parks Zambia is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org