To install and maintain plant equipment including converters, chutes and pipes according to drawings. Carry out steel fabrication / repair works, ensure the proper care and maintenance of allocated cutting, welding and tools / equipment under the general guidance of the section’s supervisor/s.
This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Fabrication and repair of steel components including vessels, piping, & chutes.
- Use of hand and power tools including: grinders, drilling machines, files and spanners.
- Proficient in carrying out arc welding.
- Lay out plate, sheet steel, or other heavy metal and locate and mark bending and cutting lines, using protractors, compasses, and drawing instruments or templates.
- Straighten or reshape steel plates or structural steel parts, using hammers, jacks, or torches.
- Carry out visual and thickness tests on ducts and pipes to locate defects, such as leaks, thinning, or defective sections, so that they can be repaired.
- Proficient in the safe use of Oxy-Acetylene cutting torches.
- Fabricating Installation of cable racks/bends/supports.
- Experienced in handling heavy angle grinders.
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
- Checks all tools to make sure that they are in good working condition
- Can work independently but maintains the direction from the supervisor and section
- Preserves welding records in case welding temperature may change suddenly.
- Carry out routine housekeeping tasks to make sure that the work area is clean
- To undertake such other duties as may be determined by the Supervisor from time to time.
- Grade 12 School Certificate
- Craft Certificate in Metal Fabrication
- Member of the Engineering Institution of Zambia
- A minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience as a Boilermaker in a mining/plant environment
- Knowledge of work place safety, including writing risk assessments and following allocated safe work procedures
- Bold Initiative
- Driven – quantity & quality
- THINK Levels Compliance
- Driving Attendance
- Able to read, write and communicate in English.
- Physically fit and able to work at heights and in confined spaces.
- Hard working and self-driven
- Prepared to work occasionally in noisy and dusty/gaseous environments
- Team player
- Demonstrate quality workmanship consistently
- Ability to complete work on schedule
- Disciplined and respectful towards others
- Prepared to work long hours when necessary- Overtime and call out work may be required.
- Capable of working in a fast-paced, enthusiastic production orientated environment