TERMS OF REFERENCE
CONSULTANCY TO CONDUCT A RAPID ASSESSMENT OF PRE-PRIMARY TEACHER DEPLOYMENT IN SIOMA, SHANGOMBO AND MONGU
The Zambia National Education Coalition (ZANEC) was established in 2001 and was duly registered through the Society’s Act under registration number ORS/102/35/2581 on 3rd July 2002. As a coalition, ZANEC currently has 89 registered Member Organisations. The ZANEC membership is composed of Community Based Organisations (CBOs), Faith-Based Organisations (FBOs) Local Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs), International Non-Governmental Organisations (INGOs), Teacher Trade Unions and Student Unions working in the education and skills sector. ZANEC’s core mandate is to carry out evidence-based advocacy in the education sector.
2.0 INTRODUCTION AND PURPOSE OF CONSULTANCY
Primary education has been an important component of the Zambian education system since the colonial period. Early Childhood Care, Development and Education (ECCDE), on the other hand, is a new component introduced in public schools in 2013. For a long time, the provision of early childhood education was in the hands of local authorities, local communities, NGOs and the private sector. However, the Ministry of Education saw the importance of annexing ECCDE centers to existing primary schools especially in rural areas and thus recruited about 1000 ECCDE teachers in 2013. However, there has been a concern over the years that the number of ECCDE teachers remains low in rural areas. It is for this reason that ZANEC, with support from Save the Children, would like to engage the services of a consultant to conduct a rapid assessment of the status of teachers for pre-primary and lower primary education (Grades 1 to 4) in Sioma, Shangombo and Mongu Districts of Zambia. The consultant will be required to develop research tools, coordinate data collection by ZANEC members, analyse the data and draft the report. It is envisaged that the evidence generated from this assessment will provide evidence for use in advocating for the allocation of at least 10% of the teachers to ECCDE every time government is recruiting teachers. More important also, ZANEC would like government to deploy ECCDE teachers with skills in detecting disabilities and delivering education to children with disabilities.
3.0 SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES:
The assessment intends to:
- Carry out an audit of the number of pre-primary and lower primary school teachers disaggregated by gender in the selected districts
- Investigate the needs of ECCDE and lower primary school teachers in selected districts.
- Determine the teacher deficits at pre-primary and lower-primary levels
- Determine the availability of qualified and specialised teachers for learners with disabilities
4.0 SCOPE OF WORK
ZANEC wishes to hire a consultant for twelve (12) working days to facilitate data collection, analysis and report writing for the project: The consultant will be required to:
- Develop data collection tools for the survey;
- Conduct Orientation meetings on the data tools and targets for the data collectors;
- Conduct a desk review and key informant interviews with relevant target groups.
- Analyse the data presented by the data collectors from the three districts.
- Produce a concise report from the data produced with clear graphs, tables and recommendations
- Produce a policy brief using the findings of the study.
5.0 KEY DELIVERABLES
- An inception report outlining the methodology, data collection tools, key deliverables and time frames,
- A satisfactory first draft report to be reviewed by ZANEC Secretariat,
- A satisfactory second draft report to be reviewed by the Secretariat,
- Final report of the study,
- Two paged Policy Brief with relevant information derived from the final report, and
- A PowerPoint presentation of the key findings of the report.
6.0 REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
- Must possess a master’s degree in Education, Research, Gender, or a related field;
- Proven experience and track record in conducting research in the education sector;
- Strong analytical, facilitation, writing and communication skills;
- Ability to devote full time towards meeting assignment deadlines.
- Must submit the TPIN number along with their expressions of interest
All expressions of interest with a clear presentation on the understanding of the task, methodology, competencies, work plan and proposed costs must be submitted through post or email to the address below by 21st June 2022.
The Executive Director,
Zambia National Education Coalition,
Baptist Fellowship Building,
Plot 3061/2 Corner Makishi Road and Great East Road,
P.O. Box 30774,
Email: [email protected]