USAID SCALING UP NUTRITION TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE (SUN TA)
DISTRICT TECHNICAL OFFICER – WATER, SANITATION & HYGIENE (WASH)
SAMFYA AND KABWE DISTRICTS
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS, avian influenza control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments.
1. Project Background:
The Scaling Up Nutrition Program is a cross-ministry and multi-donor program to reduce stunting in Zambia through implementation of the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) 1,000 Most Critical Days Program.
SUN TA will provide support and direct technical assistance to sub-national local government departments in target districts to plan, implement, coordinate, and monitor integrated nutrition-sensitive and nutrition-specific activities to reduce the rate of stunting among Zambian children under two and improve the nutritional status of pregnant and lactating mothers. USAID has identified two main objectives that address stunting, including (1) Adequate Quantity and Quality of Dietary Intake among Target Groups; and (2) Adequate Health Conditions for Biological Utilization of Nutrients. SUN TA interventions will increase access and availability of safe, diverse, nutritious food; adoption of better child feeding and household hygiene practices; and access to improved health, water and sanitation services. The project will prioritize sustainability by improving intra-household joint decision making and building the capacity of local government and their stakeholders to ensure coordination, accountability, and learning, following the Scaling Up Nutrition model.
2. Position Salary Grade:8
3. Location: Luapula and Central Provinces: The District Technical Officer will be based in Samfya and Kabwe Districts respectively with frequent (more than 80% of time) travel in the assigned district.
The District Technical Officer will work in close collaboration with the District Nutrition Coordination Committee (DNCC), the District Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Education Commttee (DWASHE) and the relevant line ministries and will support the implementation of the District work plans and activities and improve district capacity in the areas of water and sanitation and hygiene.
5. Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical, administrative, and logistical support for SUN TA program activities in the assigned district
- Provide technical assistance and operational support to the DNCC and DWASHE committees in the role out and implementation of CLTS at scale to lead to the Open Defecation Free attainment and certification of health facility catchments
- Provide technical assistance to the DNCC and DWASHE in the implementation of interventions to increase access to safe water
- Serve as a liaison between district committees and other district stakeholders and the SUN TA program, ensuring smooth and efficient communication, positive relationship-building, and collaboration
- Conduct joint supportive supervision and quality control monitoring visits to sub-district levels (Wards, Health Care Facility Catchments, Zones and Communities)
- Document and share project success stories and lessons learnt,
- Support the collection of qualitative and quantitative data for program monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL)
- Provide administrative support to the project such as organizing meetings, trainings, workshops, and other project events
- Any other duties as assigned by the District Manager and the WASH Expert
6. Reporting and Supervision:
The District Technical Officer will report day to day directly to the District Manager and will technically report to and be supported by WASH Expert at national level.
7. Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health /Public Health or closely related fields? and 7 years of relevant work experience in one of the following areas: Water, Sanitation and Health
- Proven (hands-on) experience in working with districts and sub district structures to increase access to sanitation and hygiene using the CLTS approach
- Proven (hands-on) experience in working with district and sub district structures to increase access to safe water.
- Strong communications skills and ability to collaborate effectively with district and sub district partners
- Proven problem-solving skills and exceptional stakeholder relations with both internal and external parties
- Well organized and self-directed individual with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgement, high ethical standards, and operational focus
- Proven experience working in multi-disciplinary and fast paced set up or environment
- Fluency in English is required