At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Job title: Field Operator, Oxygen Plant
Site: Kansanshi Mining Plc
Department: Smelter Process
Section: Leach Oxygen Plant
Position reports to: Senior Supervisor – Leach Oxygen Plant
Grade: Grade 8
Direct reports: N/A
To assist the CRO to Control distillation columns, compressors, purifying towers, heat exchangers and related equipment to extract nitrogen and oxygen from air for industrial use.
This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Ensure that all personnel and visitors adhere to company safety regulations and requirements on the section.
- Attend daily shift meetings.
- Ensure a proper shift hand over when going on or off shift.
- Ensure proper standard operation of equipment on section.
- Patrol work areas to ensure that process & housekeeping is adequate for day to day safe operations.
- Perform process related handling of chemicals and equipment.
- Turn valves to regulate flow of products as directed by the CRO.
- Ensure good communication with co-workers during shift.
- Ensure the recording of process/equipment adjustments on Plant log sheet.
- Ensure that safety standards are met.
- Ensure that all isolations on equipment are done as per procedure.
- Ensure operating procedures are followed by Cleaners, Operators and other Sub Contractors.
- Report defects to the CRO.
- Take active part in the relevant mine, plant or equipment training programs or cross training in other sections as indicated by the Training Officer.
- Perform ready to start on Main Air Compressor and assist the CRO with oxygen field work start- up activities.
- Able to start the Oxygen Compressor on nitrogen for safety purposes.
- Change Oxygen compressor from nitrogen to oxygen service on the run.
- Isolate distillation column and compressors during power or controlled outage.
- Defrost Expander units after power failures.
- Cool down Liquid Oxygen pump to cryogenic temperature and transfer liquid oxygen between the tanks.
- Defrost Liquid Oxygen pumps.
- Monitor performance of side stream filter ie. media level, differential pressure across the filter and suspended solid levels in the cooling tower to prevent solids blocking the UET unit.
- Cleaning the calcium carbonate formation from the UET reactors.
- Must become familiar with MSDS which provide important information on materials produced by the plant.
- Perform gas analysis in areas in which people are working that may become enriched with oxygen.
- Safely handling and filling of high pressure oxygen gas cylinders.
- Use of correct solvents to clean any oil or contaminants that may ignite in an oxygen enriched atmosphere.
- Know the dangerous substances and action to be taken when in contact thereof.
- Must be able to identify all the piping & valves outside and be conversant with emergency isolations.
- Minimum of a Grade 12
- Experience working in an industrial environment before.
- Knowledge of procedures for pumps & compressors start-up & shut downs.
- Bold Initiative
- Thinking Safety
- Upholding Quality
- Good Technical Skills
- Driving Quantity
- Driving Attendance
- Good Hand-on experience
- Dynamic, Driven, Smart
- Exposure to dust, and noise.
- Regularly working at heights on the 55meter high distillation column.
- PC Literacy