Position: Geotechnical Engineer
Lumwana Mine, Kalumbila, Zambia.
Reporting to: Geotechnical Coordinator
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for highly committed and qualified individuals to be considered for the position of Geotechnical Engineer.
Reporting to the Geotechnical Coordinator, you will provide support with regards to Ground Control Management. Your duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure that the geotechnical properties and behaviour of the material comprising the pit slopes and dumps are properly understood.
- Ensure that geotechnical advice and design recommendations provided in relation to the open pits, dumps, stockpiles, sumps, haul roads and drainage channels is understood and executed correctly in the field.
- Regularly inspect and monitor ground conditions at the active face.
- Collect, analyse and interpret the required geotechnical data.
- Analyse monitoring results and report any anomalies.
- Assist in providing technical advice and design analysis for ground control issues related to the open pits, dumps, stock piles, sumps, haul roads and drainage channels.
- Carry out regular audits of the pit slopes and dumps and record results as per the schedule and methodology prescribed by the Geotechnical Coordinator.
- Carry out blast vibration monitoring and blast audits, and record and communicate the results for feedback into drill and blast design.
- Supervise slope stabilization works, geotechnical drilling, and installation of monitoring equipment with an emphasis on a high level of safety and quality.
- Continually improve their geotechnical skills by way of working through the geotechnical skills matrix and seeking guidance and mentorship from the Geotechnical Coordinator.
Experience & Qualifications
- Grade 12 Certificate
- BSc in Mining Engineering/Geology/Geotechnical engineering
- Experience (2 years) in the Mining industry
- Experience in large multi pit operations utilizing large scale mining equipment i.e. drill rigs and blasting experience essential.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels.
- Good computer skills with the ability to use integrated management systems, word processing, presentation and spreadsheet applications.
- Member of the Engineering Institution of Zambia.
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply. Lumwana Mine does not solicit for payment of any funds towards the recruitment process.
‘Be Aware of Fraudsters’
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks.